Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's in YOUR box??!!

If you want the list, I have some time to kill.

Power Mac 8600/200

Original 200mhz 604e daughtercard

96 meg interleaved

4 meg videoram, Monitor out/Video out

Video in/capture

Audeo/stereo in/capture

eathernet

Mic in

internal floppy

Apple extended keyboard

Apple ADB mouseII

Microsoft sidewinder ADB joystick

Gravis ABD gamepad

IBM DCAS-32160 2gig

Seagate ST32550N 2gig

Seagate? DSP3701LS 1gig

internal Zip drive-scsi broken

external Epson Zip drive-scsi

internal 12x? CDROM

Umax Astra 610S

external Ricoh 6002S CD burner

PCI USB card

Sandisk USB Compact Flash cardreader

Logitech USB pilot wheel mouse

PCI Firewire card

Cheap/fast CD burner in Firewire case

IBM 60gig HD in Firewire case

Apple CSW 6500 printer

Global Village modem

Advent subwoofer/speakers

It is upgradable, but needs too much. :(

Me want more RAM...!!!

I don't think it's possible to have too much.... With XP or W2K Pro though you're limited by the Software and the 32 bit hardware...

W2K Pro is 2GB (apps)/2GB (system), XP 32 the same?, (XP 64, is 16GB)

With 2003 (and the right 32 bit version), it pokes through some of the barriers, W2K Server can go to 8GB, 2003, I think is 12GB or 16GB.

Now, I don't NEED 4GB of RAM, but the Mboard specs indicate (with the four slots/sockets available for volatile memory) that it will support up to that much (or close to it). Another 256 or 512 would keep me subdued for awhile, however. ;)

OK. Here's the lowdown on the beastie :)

- Asus A7N8X 2.0 Deluxe w/ bus oc'd to 200

- Athlon XP 2500+ Barton oc'd to 3200+

- 512mb Muskin Black with the heatspreaders oc'd and running real tight timings (2, 2, 2, 4...? I forget...and the machine is at home and I'm not)

- 400W Antec PSU that I rewired with a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 80mm exit fan

- 6 HDD's of various sizes, 2 in RAID-0, all isolated from the case with vibration dampening grommets from EAR composites (200+ gigs total)

- Plextor CD-RW

- GeForce Ti4200....also oc'd (of course)

- Yamaha DS2416 24-bit 24-channel pro audio card (Yamaha O2R on a card with a software interface...only George will know what that is ;))

- Zalman variable-speed CPU fan

- other fans also on variable-speed resistors and the case fan grills removed (PC P&C Silencers and Panaflo L1A's)

- inside of the server-size case lined with acoustic absorbing melamine foam

- all the IDE cables cut and rounded

- other assorted gizmos and stuff...including a pair of aircraft-style toggle switches mounted on the front face to control power to various devices as needed...

- XP Pro and 98SE

It's setup for remote control and can be started up from the off state remotely from another PC anywhere on the internet. :)

- Gabe

PS: And the audio output ends up in a pair of bi-amped Mackie HR824 studio monitors (or Yamaha NS-10's depending on what you want)

PPS: I have a video-capture card and some more silencing gear on the way too. The video-capture is to take S-video out of my TiVo (also modified) to the PC.

Home Machine: Athalon 2.0G 512RAM, on a Shuttle MB, with all kinds of doodads attached to it. Last I checked I had 8 USB devices attached to it. Old GF3 video card driving a 17inch Dell Flat screen. For me CPU speed becomes uninteresting for a home machine when it passes 2G. For me the various accessories are more usefull the horsepower for a home machine. I can watch cable, download large files really fast, check my Email, transfer pictures from 8 different types of media cards, print a document, fax another, burn a CD, upload music to my Rio, all at the same time.

Work Machine: Intel 2.4G 1Gig RAM, Dual head ATI 9800 video card and the two flat screens (Sun 17"). Mostly used as an X server in top of Win2k to chat with the miriad of Solaris boxes that I actually work on.

New Laptop: My pride and joy: Micron X3000, 2G Centrino, 1GB RAM, 14.5" Screen,

40Gb drive, ATI 9700 Mobility 128MB, CDR/CD-RW/DVD, built in wireless, smart media, fingerprint scanner integrated with the BIOS and the OS, Li-Ion battery, and perhaps even a pear tree.

Vlad

What, no plexi-clear tower with flourescent-neon blue spinning fans and illuminated water-lines, etc....??

BAH! I hate the neon light gizmos. It's very ghetto...not much to look at. Tall beige case, no windows, horrible tin-snip holes cut in the metal...lots of cable ties and spray adhesive in use :)

- Gabe