Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New DPMS 22 upper

tshong

Anybody have experience with the new DPMS 22 upper? The new revision is based on the tried and true NC22 upper. So, unlike their previous 22lr which used proprietary mags, this new DPMS takes BDM mags.

I can't find much reviews on this thing anywhere. The only difference to the NC22 appears to be that DPMS added a melonite coat on the bolt to make it more slick and corrosion resistant.

I'd love to hear if anyone had a chance to shoot one and what your thoughts are.

*Edit*

I'm not affiliated in anyway to DPMS. Just saw that they are going for $425 for the AP4 model and $399 for the bull barrel model on their website.

Edited by tshong

• 1 year later...

Anyone have an opinion on these DPMS .22lr uppers? I have a friend contemplating the DPMS or the Taccom. I have a Nordic and love it, but they don't make them anymore and I like that the DPMS uses the Nordic design. Is it true the DPMS bolt is Melonite treated?

I don't know if Nordic is making them for JP or just supplying the parts, but my JP22 (NC-22) is outstanding. DPMS, Nordic and JP have long run in the same circles. If the DPMS upper is based on the NC-22 it should be excellent.

I just went through this same quest. I decided on a Taccom upper which I just received last Friday. It looks real nice. I like the bolt and the nickel coating. I've only fired 235 rounds so not enough to evaluate it yet. I believe I read here that Tim from Taccom used to work at Nordic. Go to his website, he is a forum dealer here. Because I wanted a M4 type barrel and had no intention of using anything but a red dot optic, I purchased the ULW but substituted the M4 barrel. It was a little cheaper that way. It uses BD mags which I purchased for $11 each from 44 Mag.com. I see he now sells an adapter to use the S&W M&P22 mags.

... The only difference to the NC22 appears to be that DPMS added a melonite coat on the bolt to make it more slick and corrosion resistant.

My Nordic (NC-22) came with a melonite bolt

I love the gun. (If I could just find .22 ammo for a reasonable price!)

My friend went with the Taccom. Tim went above and beyond to get him a good deal in consideration of a minor CS misstep/miscommunication during the 2013 craze when my friend first tried to order. Big ups and thanks to Tim for taking care of him.

I've had the 16" DPMS bull barrel upper for almost a year. I've probably put somewhere around 3k - 4k rounds through it. It is plenty accurate for my practice (~1"@ 25 yds with a Prismatic) and is very reliable as long as I clean it every 500ish rounds. Any more than that and the typical lead and wax buildup will start to affect the gun while going into battery.

All that I have changed on it is I took the carbine length aluminum handguard tube off and put a rifle length tube on it. It was a simple unscrew one and screw the other on change out.

I just put the Prismatic on it this week (I've been swapping my primary optic from my 223 upper until now) and I have a little over a case of ammo waiting to be shot. Over the next couple of months, I'm really going to put some rounds through it. If I come across any negatives during this time, I'll let every one know.

One more thing I had to do..... when I changed out to an AR Gold trigger, I had to sand a small amount if material off of the bottom of the bolt because it was over cocking the trigger. About 15 minutes with some sandpaper and some elbow grease and everything was good to go.