Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

148gr HBWC with VV-n310

soe400club

VV310 is powerful stuff... I have experimented with up to 2.4 grains and had mixed results with HBWC and cast 148 WC. There was no big difference between Bullseye, 231 or VV310 in terms of accuracy but the VV is a lot cleaner.

WST seems like a good alternative at around 3 grains - but you have gotta' brush at every opportunity.....452AA was very good, but you can't get it anymore :angry2:

2.4-2.5 grs. will work pretty well in 38 spl. brass. I've shot quite a few when I was shooting PPC. Also shot a lot of 3.1 grs. of WW 231 but 3.0 grs AA #2 was consistently the most accurate out of my revolvers. :cheers:

Edited by reptoid

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried 2.3gn to 2.9gn of N310 and had lots of small groups. Had more consistently small groups with AA2 (2.8 to 3.1gn).

Some things to watch for:

1) If shooting in a semi-auto, try unsized brass, particularly after you have already fired a light load in your semi. The recoil spring will close the slide on the round, which will be tight in the chamber.

2) Be very sure that the base of the bullet is not being swaged down when seating the bullet. The Remington's are 0.360-0.361" at the skirt. Pull a seating bullet and compare before and after dimensions. You may need a larger expander plug that can expand the case, over the length that the bullet will be seated, to 0.359". A standard expander will not do this.

3) Try R.P. cases. The case walls are thinner and you are more likely to be able to seat bullets without swaging them down.

4) If shooting in a revolver, you may need to use a Lee FCD, without the crimp parts, to size the case just enough to fit in the cylinder. Next, you may find accuracy improves by seating the bullet out 0.1" or so from the case mouth.

5) Your cases may need to be trimmed to a consistent length so your roll crimp, which needs to be VERY slight, will be consistent. For crimping, you really should get a Redding Profile Crimp die. I tried others, but the Redding makes the most consistently accurate ammunition. Also, with the Redding, your case length is not that critical for a good crimp.

• 3 weeks later...

VV310 is powerful stuff... I have experimented with up to 2.4 grains and had mixed results with HBWC and cast 148 WC. There was no big difference between Bullseye, 231 or VV310 in terms of accuracy but the VV is a lot cleaner.

WST seems like a good alternative at around 3 grains - but you have gotta' brush at every opportunity.....452AA was very good, but you can't get it anymore :angry2:

I tried 2.7 WST with Rem HBWC 148 gr. Did not group good at 50 yards... You recommend 3.0 WST? How was the grouping at 50 yards for you. I have a 1:14 twist.

I have tried 2.3gn to 2.9gn of N310 and had lots of small groups. Had more consistently small groups with AA2 (2.8 to 3.1gn).

Some things to watch for:

1) If shooting in a semi-auto, try unsized brass, particularly after you have already fired a light load in your semi. The recoil spring will close the slide on the round, which will be tight in the chamber.

2) Be very sure that the base of the bullet is not being swaged down when seating the bullet. The Remington's are 0.360-0.361" at the skirt. Pull a seating bullet and compare before and after dimensions. You may need a larger expander plug that can expand the case, over the length that the bullet will be seated, to 0.359". A standard expander will not do this.

3) Try R.P. cases. The case walls are thinner and you are more likely to be able to seat bullets without swaging them down.

4) If shooting in a revolver, you may need to use a Lee FCD, without the crimp parts, to size the case just enough to fit in the cylinder. Next, you may find accuracy improves by seating the bullet out 0.1" or so from the case mouth.

5) Your cases may need to be trimmed to a consistent length so your roll crimp, which needs to be VERY slight, will be consistent. For crimping, you really should get a Redding Profile Crimp die. I tried others, but the Redding makes the most consistently accurate ammunition. Also, with the Redding, your case length is not that critical for a good crimp.

Thank you Sir for you info..

Sorry never heard of AA2. Is that Accurate Arms # 2.

Thanks in advance!!!!

I tried 2.7 WST with Rem HBWC 148 gr. Did not group good at 50 yards... You recommend 3.0 WST? How was the grouping at 50 yards for you. I have a 1:14 twist.

3.0 grains of WST delivers good accuracy in my 1:14 twist Douglas barrels - I load so that about 1/16" of the projectile is out of the case and use a very light roll crimp. Group size is usually 2" or better off hand at 50 yards. In a sitting position it is not uncommon to have three or four holes touching.

3.0 grains of WST delivers good accuracy in my 1:14 twist Douglas barrels - I load so that about 1/16" of the projectile is out of the case and use a very light roll crimp. Group size is usually 2" or better off hand at 50 yards. In a sitting position it is not uncommon to have three or four holes touching.

Awesome!!!! Thank You!!! :eatdrink:

Just trying to find good loads for PPC 50 yard line...

I will try that load....