Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock 34

Rufus The Bum

I'm sure this has been debated on here before, but I can't find it, so here go's.

I'm "considering" converting over my G34 to an Open Glock with barrell ports, comp, Carver mount, C-More etc.. The quandry I'm having is how the gun will perform at 130pf with a comp and barrel ports. With such a relatively low powder charge, how effective will the ports/comp be? Has anybody tried this before? I'm open to any suggestions.

I went down that route a year back.

I put an extended, ported barrel into the G34 and added the mount and red-dot sight. The 3 barrel ports were outboard in front of the slide.

I did some tests of recoil control with the ported barrel. But only simple stuff. Got a friend to stand on the left of the gun as I fired it and he marked the upper most point that the gun reached on a pole on the right side of the gun. The impact of the ported barrel was minimal, about 1.5cm reduction of lift on average. I dont know the impact on cycle time but my feeling was that it too was minimal.

When I compared this to the challenge of shooting minor against the major open guns, I gave up on this idea...

Regards

Peter

I’m running a 17L with 4 round ports in a Barsto bbl, no comp in 9x21 major. It flipped the muzzle a lot with heavy bullets at 168pf (147gr), but with 124’s at 1360fps it shoots perfectly flat. Ports and even comps aren’t going to work as effectively with lower pressure loadings because there just isn’t enough gas pressure. My ported 17L does however, kick like a mule straight back with the 124’s. Comps are better at recoil control, ports at muzzle flip. With ports only, I basically have a real flat shooting jack hammer :D

--

Regards,

Edited by George

• 1 month later...

Rufus, I have a G34, have ports cut in the barrel, just like the G17L (3ports).

I shoot rem 147gr match bullets at 135PF, using a aimpoint comp C red dot.

Recoil is low , no cycle problems and is a flat shooter! BTW I also run a tungsten guide rod!

• 2 months later...

i own a glock 34 with stainless guide rod, 14lb spring, carver/cmore combo, 6 port barrel (2 extend beyond slide) and with anything other then HOTTTTTT ammo it will not even eject, nor will it chamber a new round.. also if you do a carver comp mount you will HAVE to lower the ejection port or it will hit the back of the cmore and drop right back into the chamber jamming it almost every single time...the glock 34 will work but mine is a work in progress and i mean alot of WORK