Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Equipment

okorpheus

Yes, you will need a decent holster since every string will come from the holster (in centerfire) from the surrender position. As far as mags, if you have standard capacity mags for your M&P (13-17 rounds), about 3 would make it but it would be nice to have 4 or 5. Since there are 5 strings, I like to keep it simplified and make it 5 mags for the 5 strings and load them all the same. It keeps everything consistent and that is important.

That is about all you need, just go out and have fun. Let us know if you have any more questions...

I'd say 5 mags is a minimum. i like to load them at the same capacity so that the draw feels the same.

Depending on your division you want to shoot in, the holster will need to conform.

Where are you located ?

Look up the IDPA rules for Stock Service Pistol since they use the same rulebook for equipment in terms of gun, holster type, and holster placement.

For IDPA SSP you're limited to a 10 round magazine; if your club doesn't follow it that closely, then it doesn't matter if you go up with a fully loaded 15+ and use the same mag for more than one string since it's rare to use more than 11 rounds in a string of fire. Remember, ideally you'll never miss and therefore only shoot 5 rounds per string. Following strict IDPA rules, you'll need 5 ten round magazines at the minimum, though a lot of guys carry a 6th for use as a Barney; if you're having a bad day, you may need to do a reload in the middle of the string requiring a 7th magazine overall at the stage, but that's pretty much going to kill your time and will be the throwaway so I don't even bother doing a reload if that happens. Personally, I go out with six magazines (5 plus Barney) but five is perfectly fine since the Barney only matters on the first string, so just be one extra round more accurate on that one! IDPA holster requirements apply. Also, fyi, in an ideal match you'll fire exactly 195 rounds, but that never happens. Bring 300 rounds and you'll have a big buffer; always better to show up with too many than not enough.

I'd also recommend bringing plenty of water since the matches can run a little long if there's a line at each stage. Also a comfortable hat and sunscreen for the same reason. Since you have to carry all your ammo, etc., from stage to stage, have a comfortable bag that doesn't contain anything more than what you need; lugging around an extra ten pounds doesn't do anything to make you shoot faster. Generally what I mentioned above plus some simple tools and cleaning supplies in case the gun gets finicky is all you really need in the range bag.

Edited by jkrispies

Most local matches only have five stages so that's a minimum of 125 rounds (5 strings x 5 targets = 25 rounds, 5 stages x 25 rounds = 125 rounds). I always tell people to bring twice that in case you are having a bad day or several re-shoots.

Also, you can shoot in Iron Sight Pistol and don't have to worry about the SSP restrictions. It makes it easier on a new shooter so just out with what you got and have good time. No need to worry about round limits, barneys, etc, etc. Again, if you only got three mags, that will work. Just have someone standing just in case you need to have a mag topped off during your run. Again, 5 is ideal.