Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSP division legal modification?

slodell

i am not positive for certain, perhaps a quick e-mail/call to the IDPA HQ is in order but i think you could argue it legal under the following stipulations.

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):

4. Internal action work may be used to enhance trigger pull as

long as safety is maintained (no visible external modifications

allowed).

6. Internal accuracy may be worked to include replacement of

barrel with one of factory configuration and original caliber.

IRL who is going to know for sure unless they strip your whole slide apart.

The divisions (ESP & SSP and others) are primarily setup to separate the different firing/safety mechanisms. However, SSP also adds no external modifications to keep things as stock as possible. If you are using a different firing pin, it does not change the firing/safety functions and is not externally visible so is legal according to rulebook.

I know your post was more around externally visible mods...but the following trigger upgrade examples may help you in future.

Here is are two examples to clarify how trigger mods impact division.

1. I recently purchased a G35 and installed a glocktriggers.com "Edge" kit. This kit is specifically approved by IDPA in the ESP division so I can not shoot this gun in SSP. Overtravel, pre-travel and reset are all reduced and overtravel is screw adjustable so is not approved for SSP.

2. I installed a Rocket 3.5 connector in my G23. Since I did not change anything related to the firing/safety function (e.g. pre-travel), nor is it immediately adjustable on the fly, it still falls into the SSP class.

Hope this helps!

Michael

• 3 months later...

Legal, however I have never seen any SO disassemble a competitors gun at a match. I recently saw a major production video of a world class champion, if you look closely when he talks about his gun you can see a tiny hole drilled in his trigger pad (wonder what that hole was for :blink:)

• 1 month later...