Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rationale behind not pulling the trigger...

Steve,

I love Refinement & Repetition, I really feel like it took me far in 2005/2006 before life changing events caused me to take a hiatus from serious competition. I'm now working my way back up, and have always wondered why in some of your drills you do not want the trigger to be pressed? Is this to save time? Or wear on the gun?

Steve,

I love Refinement & Repetition, I really feel like it took me far in 2005/2006 before life changing events caused me to take a hiatus from serious competition. I'm now working my way back up, and have always wondered why in some of your drills you do not want the trigger to be pressed? Is this to save time? Or wear on the gun?

I think it's discussed in the book somewhere. IIRC it was the idea that if you pull the trigger each time, you'll make a crappy trigger press just to beat the beep.

Jar is right.

I noticed very early in my own dry fire experiments (when the book was a list of drills on one piece of paper in my own shorthand) that it was easy to "make the time" my pulling the trigger earlier.

Very bad idea.

I want to speed up the first sight picture and burn that in, not necessarily the first shot.

A quick miss is not awesome. :)

Another great drill that I have been doing lately is slow motion draws to a first "shot", really studying how early in the draw I can fire an accurate shot. I designed that drill for another shooter and then curiously applied it to myself. (I want to reiterate that I was looking to fire earlier as opposed to simply faster.)

It's a great example of Brian's notion of "getting interested in your shooting" which is one of the more profound notions in his book.

• 2 weeks later...

Jar is right.

I noticed very early in my own dry fire experiments (when the book was a list of drills on one piece of paper in my own shorthand) that it was easy to "make the time" my pulling the trigger earlier.

Very bad idea.

I want to speed up the first sight picture and burn that in, not necessarily the first shot.

Another great drill that I have been doing lately is slow motion draws to a first "shot", really studying how early in the draw I can fire an accurate shot. I designed that drill for another shooter and then curiously applied it to myself. (I want to reiterate that I was looking to fire earlier as opposed to simply faster.)

It's a great example of Brian's notion of "getting interested in your shooting" which is one of the more profound notions in his book.

I'm curious as to what you learned?

I learned that I can fire earlier in my draw than I have "trained" myself to fire, but it takes a lot of mental effort.

I had to go off of autopilot and assume conscious control to get the gains (This is the very definition of good practice)and then burn in the "new" with repetitions.

You gotta make the Myelin around the new circuit! (Thanks again for the book! It's been fun reading about me and my parents. :))

SA

• 2 weeks later...

Jar is right.

Very bad idea.

Another great drill that I have been doing lately is slow motion draws to a first "shot", really studying how early in the draw I can fire an accurate shot. I designed that drill for another shooter and then curiously applied it to myself. (I want to reiterate that I was looking to fire earlier as opposed to simply faster)

Steve,

Do I know this person?