Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bought a 9mm Spartan... Now what?

steviesterno

Hey all,

I have been shooting SS in major with a 45 for the last few years, and carry a smaller single stack 1911, too. There isn't enough competition around here in SS and I was winning most local matches, so I decided to make the jump to limited. I picked up a Fusion based STI, 6" lightened 2011 with a pile of mags for a pretty good deal. This is the one I used to own, but a buddy had it a while... Now it's back. I WAS planning on shooting it in everything (USPSA, tactical matches, 3 gun, etc) and putting the SS to use in steel matches.

So another buddy just offers me an STI spartan 9mm, with 200 rounds through it and a pile of Tripp mags at a steal. Of course I jump on it, mostly because I've always wanted one, and I hear 9mm 1911s are just too much fun to shoot. I also have the mag holders, holsters, etc.

Now the real question is, what do I do with it? SS minor makes no sense to me because of the scoring differences, and I was thinking about using the 6" limited for everything else so I would be good with it.

I could always use the upper on my 2011, and make a 5" 3 gun 9mm, right?

What should I do with it? or did I just waste a pile of money on a range toy?

You score minor but the extra 2 rounds does give you an advantage. That gun would also work great for steel challenge or IDPA ESP. I have a 9mm 2011 that I dont shoot at a lot of matches because it scores minor. Going from 18rnds to 20rnds is not as big of a deal as going from 8 to 10. I end up shooting single stack with my 45 Trojan because of it.

Hmm, open steel gun, I like where your head is...

Now can I slap this upper on a 2011 frame and just use 9mm mags? Because that might be something super awesome to do, too... Or will it need more tweaking than that?

Hmm, open steel gun, I like where your head is...

Now can I slap this upper on a 2011 frame and just use 9mm mags? Because that might be something super awesome to do, too... Or will it need more tweaking than that?

Depends on the barrel. I think the 9mm has a ramped barrel, if so, the frame has to be cut out to accomodate it.

Hmm, becUse I just stared messing around with it and I really like it so far. Seems to be decent fit and finish, I like the sights, and the trigger is heavy but really crisp right out of the box.

I might work up a nice 124gn load and run the hell out of this thing locally.