Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting the FL sizing die up right for the AR platform.

olp73

I am trying to find out how to correctly adjust a full length sizing die (223 rem.) to my chamber. The gun is an AR-15 with a Wylde chamber. Is there a proper technique to do this or do I just buy a JP chamber gauge? If this for a bolt gun I guess I could just try to size the case a little at the time till the bolt closes easily, but in a semi automatic it is not that easy, is it? Do I want to size the case some more after the bolt is closing? And how easy is it to confirm that the bolt is fully closed?

Maybe there is no point in this, but to me it seems that setting the shoulder back to much will over work the brass and might even result in a head separation?

For a Full Length die you would do just that, size it full length. Most instructions say to raise the plate on the press and screw the die all the way in until it touches the plate. Some say to back it off 1/4 turn from there. I usually take it down until it is snug against the plate. If you only go part way down the case you are not reforming the neck and may not have enough tension to hold the bullet firmly in place.

Yes us auto shooters do that also. If you are fire forming the brass from your rifle only, you may want want to get a neck sizing / collet die to just resize the neck.

First, dont do any rifle load developing without a case guage and a crono...

The full length is for sure the way to go for an autoloader. Get the case out of the processing step and check it in the case guage (and the barrel). Length and headspace should be good before even thinking about putting primer, powder and bullet on/in...

If you have a JP, get the case guage from JP.

have fun loading! You will save money and you can tweek your load to exactly what you and your rifle wants!

JJ

If I set mine all the way down it bumps the neck back too far. Best to set it, size a case and check it in a case gauge. Adjust to suit your press and die so that sized cases consistently pass the case gauge check. Don't worry that you shoot a Wylde chamber. That's just adds space between the neck and lands, but doesn't change any of the case dimensions.

I use an RCBS micrometer case gauge to make sure I have the full length resizing die set correctly.

It doesn't take much to drastically change shoulder dimesions....

Mick

Edited by MickB