Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 priming issue

I just bought a 550b for the first time and im setting it up, and i dropped a full tube of primers down the chute. i tried loading a primer in a new, empty case and when i went up with the ram and the primer slide went back to pick up a new primer, a whole bunch popped out. and now, when i go to drop a new tube of primers down, they fall stright out the bottom without stopping, and spill out all over around the bottom of the press. the press was slightly used when bought. setup for small primers, and im using small rifle primers for 38 SC. dont really know why the primers arent being stopped at the bottom. help please? thanks.

In addition to the cup the primer tube itself has to be changed depending on the primer size. It sort of sounds like you might be loading small primers in the large primer tube. If you are positive you have the small primer tube installed I would look at:

1) The plastic tip on the end of the tube might need to be replaced.

2) There is a small plastic tip that holds the primers in the tube. It is pushed out of the way by the cup, which allows the primer to drop - make sure it is adjusted properly.

Two things

Remove the top of the primer magazine and (A) Make sure it is the small primer magazine tube and ( B ) try to spin the tube inside. If it turns turn it until it locks into place.

Edited by Sarge

ok so found out that there IS a small tube in with a little blue tip on it, found out it wasnt down ffar enough. new problem, now my primer slide is super sticky, and isnt sliding smoothly in and out of the primer pickup. i think a good lubing, and wiping should clear this up right? its getting stuck inside of where the primer is picked up. having a hard time going in, and out. the spring isnt strong enough to bring it out of the primer pickup area. thats how sticky it is. all i need is a cleaning right?

Clean it but don't lube it. Lube attracts grit and grime and it will gunk up quick. Keep it clean and dry. If anything a puff of graphite powder every great once in a while helped mine.

After you clean it and put it back together run the handle with the assy still a little loose. When you find the smoothest strokes then tighten it down just enough to hold it in place. Make sure the primer cup is lined up perfectly at the same time.

As a last resort you can bend the operating rod out some to apply more pressure to the operation.

If all of that fails call Dillon. I actually had a warped powder bar. I tried everything until I called Dillon and they told me the occasional bad part slips through. A new powder bar cured my problems but I still had to do all of the above to make it perfect.

The priming system designed to work without lube. Cleaning is a good first step. After than look for rub marks and/or rough spots. Rough spots can be removed by polishing. Rub marks generally indicate something is out of alignment and rubbing. In my experience the more perfect the alignment of everything the longer you will be able to go in between cleanings.

Since it is catching in the pickup area I would also suggest using your calipers to measure the height of the primer cup and compare it to the spec in the manual. If the cup is too high it can cause the problem you are describing.

+1 on clean but no lube. What I did was took the bar out and hit it with jewlers ruoge(SP)and a cotton polish wheel on my dremel. Then polished the inside of the Primer mechanism. (Bottom aluminum base) then cleaned the primer tube with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol. I do this about every 3k rounds no issues since. JMHO! :cheers: