Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mickey mouse 9mm

Harmon

finally got around to testing out monsters load(well sorta)....not having any VV powders in my area i used what i had, and even though it uses a touch more powder the load is really low pressure.. primers still have the "rounded look" and i get no primer flow into the G-lock rectangle striker hole..primers look like they were fired out of a regular gun.

my load was

winchester cases

3.7 grains of WSF.

147 grain precision lead bullet.

WSP

1.155 OAL

over the chrono out of my ruger p89 it went 902 fps on ten shot avg. very little ES

out of my G-lock 34 it moved up to 937fps.... both were soft and quite..not much like shooting winchersters or blazers...like monster said a big rimfire...the only bad thing was there was some unburnt powder in the barrel..small flakes not really much but there was some....truth be known i was probably light enough that i didnt get a good burn....when i run WSF near the red,. its really clean.

gonna try WST or 231, as im scared of clays and 147s in the 9mm.

sometime im gonna try them out on stubborn steel pepper poppers. uncalibrated poppers always fall really slow with 115s, maybe the 147s will speed them up.

"as im scared of clays and 147s in the 9mm."

Been there & tried it & I agree with you; I didn't like the look of the primers. THe only load for 147s & straight Clays I could find was out of an old Lyman manual and it specified lead 147s, not TMJs like the Speer, Berry's, Ranier, or WestCoasts that I was using.

Since lead bullets require the lowest powder weights of any bullets, I used the lead data & backed off slightly. Soft shooting, but the primers were quite flat. I would not try this again w/ jacket or TMJ/electroplated. Your coated Precision 147s might be a better bet with Clays as they are closer to lead in performance.

If I am going to risk pressures like I experienced with Clays, I would rather do it with a very consistent, single-base powder like V V N310 loaded to JUST over minor PF. Better still, you can get nearly as soft (if not the same) load from using N320 and it will give you a wider margin of safety. Published loads for 147s and V V powder start at N 330 burning rate. The N330 load is also quite good & obviously safe in V V's eyes.

THese light 147 grn handloads are heads and shoulders above store-bought, factory loaded 9x19mm w/ 115 grn. bullets. Try both & see for yourself.

I don't have a crono so can't say what it is power wise but 3.0 gr Bullseye and a 147 gr lead bullet is a pleasent load.. If I can find a local source for this it will be my everyday bullet.. Works great in the super with 3.5 gr Bullseye too..

Bullseye is quite fast & should shoot VERY soft w/ a 147; not the cleanest stuff out there but at least it was recently reformulated to be a little better. You could do worse! C.

Been using Bullseye for darn near forty years.. Guess I am too old and set in my ways to try some of these new powders.. Remember when primers were $6.00 per thousand and a pound of powder sold for $3.95.. Cast your own bullets and shoot the centerfire cheaper than 22lr..

I've been using 3.3gr of Titegroup with Berry's 147's and love it. I don't have a chrono yet (next purchase) so can't give you any stats there. However, this load shoots great and cycles the gun reliably.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob! I would strongly suggest NOT using that length w/ 147s in 9mm. Why? Because, it will leave very little space inside the case. Is that length listed in a book? Yes - but probably it is listed as the MINIMUM OAL; too many reloaders see the listed MINIMUM OAL and mistake that number for the optimal OAL. Leaving that little room in the case may raise pressure w/o benefit and it leaves less safety margin in the even the bullet sets back. Besides, most of my guns feed better at longer OAL.

So, if you do not use the listed MINIMUM OAL, how do you select the optimal OAL? That depends on you goals: accuracy, feed reliability, or both? Both of course!

Short answer: I load to the longest OAL as I can WITHOUT hitting the rifling and of course still being able to fit/feed reliably from the magazines. What length is that?

Generally, 1.155 Max. I use between 1.140 and 1.155 w/ 147s.

You can play w/ OAL for ultimate accuracy, but for my purposes in USPSA/IDPA, 1.155 is accurate enough.

Also, you will need to check the OAL w/ your 9mm, but in general, an OAL that will allow you to load 6 or 7 rounds in a magazine w/o hitting the front of the magazine will not ordinarily touch the rifling & SHOULD be safe - BUT CHECK THIS IN YOUR GUN TO BE 100% sure.

Good luck & please let us know what you discover; chrono data, gun, feed/accuracy, etc. C.

Carlos

Thanks for the good info. The 1.100 OAL came straight from the Hornady Handbook 6th Ed. They give a Max OAL for 9mm as 1.169 and then quote an OAL for each bullet.

My 3.4 gr. of TiteGroup under the 147gr HPBT seated at 1.103 feed reliably but gave a shotgun pattern at 25 yds. Maybe it was just me trying to get used to a Glock trigger.

More later.

RobT