Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting sports in Richmond, VA area?

You'll find good programs in both Mechanicsville and Fredricksburg. Sorry, but I've been gone too long to be able to give you current names. Try the club look-up feature on USPSA.org ... Good luck.

There's also stuff further out, if you're willing to drive a little.

I'm a very new shooter with too few posts to put links but:

Shooting at Fredericksburg Rod & Gun Club tomorrow. They're one of the bigger clubs in the area putting on matches, and is probably 45 minutes from Richmond. website leaves a lot to be desired but it's: fredericksburgps(dot)com Their monthly matches have 7-8 stages typically, and they host the VA/MD Sectional Championships and the Section 8 Championships.

Today I shot at Summit Point, WV. From Richmond (and me) about 3 hours. It's a motorsports park for road racing and they have two range complexes. Very nice outdoor facility. spshooters(dot)com

Today I was also told about Blackcreek in Mechanicsville, which is a suburb of Richmond. I'm told they do IDPA and steel matches, so I want to hit up their steel stuff. blackcreeksteel.wordpress(dot)com/

There's a load others: check this out: ar15(dot)com/forums/t_8_24/447876_Shooting_matches_in_VA_MD_WV____Updated_03_Mar_2012.html one of the fellas I have been shooting with has been maintaining a google calendar for the area matches.

Alex

I am local and I quit shooting because there is nowhere to shoot. Despite a gun friendly state there just isnt anywhere to shoot. VA is a huge black whole of USPSA.

Fredericksburg is great matches but filled up, and you must make a reservation at least a week out. with a very short window. Also get ready for an extra hour or two in traffic coming back down south on 95.

Mechanicsville does a decent steel match.

Norfolk has a small indoor IDPA match during the week.

SOuth hill Area is a new club on the extreme southern border, probably same distance as fredericksburg but should have traffic issues. Raligh NC area has a good USPSA match. probably 2 hours maybe 3 hours away.

Depending on if you come this way, there are several more places.

Blackwater practical shooters 2 hours from central richmond

Sir Walter Gun Club 2 hours from central richmond

North Mountain practical shooters 3 hours from central richmond

Quantico Practical shooters 1 hour from central richmond

despite what some folks say, you can shoot every day of every weekend if you are willing to travel. USPSA is so popular here that signups must be held in advance in an attempt to keep the number of shooters manageable.

If you want to shoot IDPA, etc., there is more as well.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate the feedback. Seems the traffic may be another issue I need to consider. Ive lived in Atalanta, so can relate to it but sure dont want to.

Thanks to whomever moved this thread to the right place..