Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel life?

gerritm

I have probably 5K plus rounds and about 2 years of shooting it almost every weekend on my 9mm Limited Pro. I seem to be scattering shots recently. Did a thorough cleaning of the barrel thinking it's lands and grooves may be gummed up with copper. No real help or difference. Not my shooting skills either, shoot fine with my 9MM Match and Sig 1911 .45.

I swapped the upper slide ass. from my Match to my Limited Pro and it shoots fine. Time for a new barrel? I tried swapping the barrels only and the Match barrel seems to fit fine in the Limited, but when I put the Limited barrel in the Match it locks up and the slide will not function. Looking at the 2 barrels there is a slight difference.

What barrel. I know Henning is the best source.

gerritm

I have probably 5K plus rounds and about 2 years of shooting it almost every weekend on my 9mm Limited Pro. I seem to be scattering shots recently. Did a thorough cleaning of the barrel thinking it's lands and grooves may be gummed up with copper. No real help or difference. Not my shooting skills either, shoot fine with my 9MM Match and Sig 1911 .45.

I swapped the upper slide ass. from my Match to my Limited Pro and it shoots fine. Time for a new barrel? I tried swapping the barrels only and the Match barrel seems to fit fine in the Limited, but when I put the Limited barrel in the Match it locks up and the slide will not function. Looking at the 2 barrels there is a slight difference.

gerritm

Its hard to believe that after Only 5k rounds that your barrel would be shot out did you try cleanIng it with a good copper solvent

gerritm

Its hard to believe that after Only 5k rounds that your barrel would be shot out did you try cleanIng it with a good copper solvent

Cleaned it with good copper solvent and it had no effect.

gerritm

Are your sights loose? I was having a hard time figuring out why my Limited was shooting erratic last fall, and I found that the set screws were loose. The sight felt tight but would shift side to side.

I dont know how you would wear out a barrel in 5k unless you were reloading rocks. ;)

Are your sights loose? I was having a hard time figuring out why my Limited was shooting erratic last fall, and I found that the set screws were loose. The sight felt tight but would shift side to side.

I dont know how you would wear out a barrel in 5k unless you were reloading rocks. ;)

No rocks. Most of these were factory loads. I will check the sights. Could be double that amount, really haven't kept close track. I know it is a lot of rounds.

gerritm

I consider 5K the "break in" period ;)

I don't know who on this board runs a lands and groove barrel. I think most of us with higher round counts have the polygonal.

It is a polygonal barrel. What do you call the rifling in that typed of barrel?

gerritm