Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

muzzle flip

hal1955

I don't have a steel framed 226 so I can't test this myself...........the steel framed 226 is a 42 ounce gun but it has a lower bore axis than say a Shadow or a Tanfo which are both a few ounces lighter. Is the muzzle flip in the all steel 42 ounce 226 more pronounced than the Shadow or the Stock 2 ?

I have 2 standard alloy 226s, an X-5, and a 37.5 oz CZ75. The CZ75 has the least muzzle flip of any of the guns I own. Even with the stock springs. The X-5 is a close second and the standard 35 oz 226 9mms are still OK but last. I love shooting the X-5 but a standard size all stainless 42 oz 226 would be perfect for IDPA, I would think, other than the bore axis is a little higher than the CZ and the slide is heavier.

I'm kinda new to this, so this is based on what little experience I have with a limited number of game guns.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

The bore axis on the SIGs is 1/4" higher than on the CZ. That explains why the CZ has less flip starting out at equal gun weights. I still think a 42 oz P226 would be excellent, however. I'll let you know how a 42.9oz X-5 is in a few weeks, I hope.

Joe

I don't own an alloy framed 226, but I have shot many of them. I do own an all stainless steel frame P-226 Elite, and it has very little muzzle flip compared to the alloy framed 226's that I have shot. Maybe the beavertail helps too? My CZ Shadow has even less than the P-226 Elite. It really is an amazing production gun, IMO. :bow:

I don't own an alloy framed 226, but I have shot many of them. I do own an all stainless steel frame P-226 Elite, and it has very little muzzle flip compared to the alloy framed 226's that I have shot. Maybe the beavertail helps too? My CZ Shadow has even less than the P-226 Elite. It really is an amazing production gun, IMO. :bow:

What weight is the recoil spring in the steel frame 226 and what is the power factor versus the Shadow ? Edited by hal1955

What weight is the recoil spring in the steel frame 226 and what is the power factor versus the Shadow ?

Stock recoil spring. ? lbs. About 130/135 PF in both guns.

The bore axis on the SIGs is 1/4" higher than on the CZ

I'd be interested to know how you arrived at that number...

Vertical measurement from firing pin to top of thumb first joint while gripping each gun.