Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber 1911 jammin'

toddje

I had the same 3-pt jams on my Kimber GMII. With some help from folks here, after I polished and tuned my extractor, it's been running like a champ. I got the Weigand tension adjusting shims, the Weigand (SP?) extractor adjustment tool, and a Lyman digital trigger gage. The extractors in my GM and my son's Kimber Custom Classic Target are set to about 1.3 to 1.5lbs, and they feed my reloads just great.

I also started sorting out my brass for matches, using only Winchester, Speer, PMC, Blazer, and few other of the better mfgrs. This, along with using a sinclar cartridge gage, and getting the extractor tuned, have made all the difference.

Also, if you get some FTFs that have a nick in the case mouth, the sharp edge on the sides of the barrel throat will need to be smoothed out.

So upon recommendation of one of the folks I shot with on occasion, I dropped in a Nowlin "Tuff Stuff" extractor. Tension must be just right, because I just dropped it in right out of the baggie it showed up in. Gun is now 100%, at least through my 100rds or so last night. Thanks, folks! I'll get that barrel looked at soon...

Mr. Hill is correct. The barrel ramp and throat isn't correct, I would suggest having a competent 1911 smith take a look at the gun.

Les Baer, STI and several other main stream 1911 manufacturers are now offering Fully Supported, Ramped barrels in all calibers. Feeding issues seem to go away with this updated barrel/ramp system. Just because it was made one way a hundred years ago, doesn't mean there's not room for improvement. There are several compitent Gunsmiths that can handle this work.

Mr. Hill is correct. The barrel ramp and throat isn't correct, I would suggest having a competent 1911 smith take a look at the gun.

Les Baer, STI and several other main stream 1911 manufacturers are now offering Fully Supported, Ramped barrels in all calibers. Feeding issues seem to go away with this updated barrel/ramp system. Just because it was made one way a hundred years ago, doesn't mean there's not room for improvement. There are several compitent Gunsmiths that can handle this work.

Not sure why I was quoted, or what ramped barrels have to do with this gentleman's kimber??