Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The perfect open revolver for steel shooting

shooterdoc

Let's take this perfect idea one more step.

What would be your perfect revolver for shooting steel (open class)?

Who would build it? Why?

What caliber?

What frame material (i.e. stainless steel, scandium)?

What cylinder material (i.e. stainless steel, titanium)?

Would you use the stock barrel or rebarrel it; whose barrel? What barrel length?

Bull, slab, fluted or radically lightened barrel? Ports/comp. or not?

What kind of action/dependability work? Whose spring kit?

How much would it weigh?

What optical sight? Whose mount?

Stock or custom cylinder release?

Whose grips?

What bullet brand and weight?

Doc,

IMHO the softest shooting Revo I have ever shot was one called "Elroy' It is a space age looking revo built by a friend of mine from Arizona. It was built on a Smith N frame and chambered for a 38 super. The comp is a combination of steel and aluminum. the steel insert is to keep the aluminum from eroding away. It has a large face plate on the comp to better use what gases it does produce and I think five hybrid ports. I haven't figured how to get a picture in this answer but it is listed on wildbunch Under more photos. Now to check if it is still there. Yep still there. Since the photo was taken he has cut the cylinder bach to super length and set back the barrel to fit. It does resembel Ichiro's revo in the post above. Tetsu Murata had a similar one. Just my thoughts. rdd

If you're talking Steel Challenge type stuff I'd go with a 686+ and whack the barrel back to 5" and cut off about 1" of the underlug. This is a personal thing all based on how I like to have a gun balance. Need to find out what you like for balance, here are my thoughts. (for steel challenge type stuff).

Some guns are too heavy, some are too light.

Some barrels are too long, some are too short.

Some barrel profiles are too fat, some are too thin.

Some scopes are too heavy and mounted too high.

Some grips are too light, some are too heavy.

Some sights are tubes, some are heads up.

I can't say there is a perfect weight, even for me, but somewhere out there is the balance that will match up to you. Thinking what you need and needing what you think are 2 different things. :wacko: Sometimes it take a while to sort these things out.

• 3 weeks later...

smith and wesson X frame shortened to regular revolver size....(same cylinder length as the 625/627) 10 shot cylinder 9mm caliber(or 38 super...9X23)believe with moon clips you could shoot 9mm ammo in the 9X23 gun 3inch barrel, 3-4 port comp...some form of optics...

but then again, im the guy wanting smith to build a ten shot 9mm revolver to shoot production with...something like a short X frame, 10 shot cylinder.. 4-5 inch barrel and 50 oz of weight to make it recoil like a 22...with 10 shots, i bet it would send alot of autoloaders to school.

now welcome back to reality....im shooting a glock...