Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullseye and IDPA

blindsqurril

I shot Bullseye many years back. Sold off all my old gear, and now I'm getting back into Bullseye again. I recently saw some IDPA ans USPCA matches and it was a real eye opener. You guys are having way to much fun. Darn wish I had paid more attention and started back into this years ago.

Anyhow, I still need to purchase a 1911 for that part of Bullseye. I'm trying to wrap my mind around the rules for all 3 types of shooting. Is there a .45 1911 that I can use for all three types of shooting?

Would I just be better off getting a Springfield Range officer or a Ruger SR1911 for the bullseye, and then getting say a STI or XDM for the others.

I want to start out conservatively (cheap) until I can learn more, see what works for me, and get into things again.

You can run a 1911 in all three sports as long as you stay with iron sights (that do not extend in front or behind the slide like the old target rails did) in USPSA you would good for Single Stack or Limited 10 divisions (with appropriate magazines) in IDPA you can compete in CDP or ESP. I would say get the 1911 and start shoting once you shoot for a while you know IF you want to play in a different division and what gear you will want to do it with.

Mike

In my opinion BE type sights as mounted specifically for BE are too high...both front and rear. You can use and USPSA type 1911 for BE and it will be better suited for IDPA also (lower profile sights will not snag as easily).

JMHOFWIW

Richard

I run a Les Baer P11 in USPSA,PPC,STEEL and Action Pistol Matches.Never shot BULLSEYE But, I know several people who do with the P11. So you could probably cover all your needs with one.

Picked mine up for less than 2k with 1.5"@ 50yrd. option. just hit the 4000 rd. mark and it hasn't even hiccupped.

Thanks guys. I guess I will just have to jump in and start learning. I will have to do a little looking over some shoulders and picking some brains, but I guess I was trying to make it to hard. I will get a good completive bullseye gun and shoot it where I can until I learn what direction I want to go. Then get something else if it warrants.

This website is a real learning experience, probably the best all-around website with real practical information.

If I could only have one pistol for bullseye, IDPA, and USPSA, it would be a Les Baer Premier II, with the 1.5" group guarentee with a fiber optic front sight for IDPA, and USPSA, and a scope mount that replaces one of the grips for bullseye. Probably a drilled/tapped mag release for USPSA, and an EGW, or, Ed Brown mag release for IDPA. :cheers:

Oh yea, and an SV, aluminum magwell, with a little bit ground off the bottom so a little more mag hangs out!

Edited by RH45

You can use a "Hardball Distinguished 45" for all three. There are obviosly guns that are made just for each game that are a little better.Change the recoil spring, and you can use this gun for wadcutters also. I've used a Hardball gun for IDPA for some time. That will

let you get your feet wet, and decide which way to go. ---JCB

If I could only have one pistol for bullseye, IDPA, and USPSA, it would be a Les Baer Premier II, with the 1.5" group guarentee with a fiber optic front sight for IDPA, and USPSA, and a scope mount that replaces one of the grips for bullseye. Probably a drilled/tapped mag release for USPSA, and an EGW, or, Ed Brown mag release for IDPA. :cheers:

Sounds like a plan. I have been checking out the Less Bauer website. I see they have an 8 round mag. I will give them a call next week and see what their delivery times are running. This is definetly going to stretch my budget since I still need to order the reloading gear and various stuff.

Edited by blindsqurril

Give Crazy John @ 1911 Heaven a call. He has a verygood selection in stock and you cant beat his prices.

I added an Ed Brown S.S. Extended mag release and Magwell,dropped trigger pull to exactly 3 lbs. and really starting to enjoy shooting SS Division in USPSA.

The accuracy of the Baer Premiere II is outstanding. I had concerns about using such a tightly fit pistol in USPSA But, No worries!

Good Luck in which ever pistol you choose.

Have Fun

You can run a 45 ACP pistol with iron sights in IDPA and USPSA but you would be at a disadvantage in the bullseye competition. I was away from bullseye from mid 1960's thru 1990. When I shot all the guns were equipped with iron sights. I was very surprised to see that virtually all the shooters were using pistols in all three matches with red dot sights - those red dot sights do help these aging eyes. Now I shoot USPSA, IDPA and Steel Challenge with iron sighted guns.

Edited by TonyT