Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new custom defense load, opinions please...

Blazer-6

I did some testing with my old 200 gr XTP .40 load and was not satisfied. since i have loads of VV N340, i planned to produce a new load with it, ideally a 180 gr breaking 1150 fps, to produce 500+ fpe and 800+ psi pressure wave (to those who believe in that..) to create results close as possible to a close range 5.56.. of course I thought 1150 fps w/ n340 would be over the charts at standard OAL. i determined 1.155 as the longest load that would feed reliably w/ 180 gr sierra sports masters in my gun (USP40). So i did some testing from 6.0 grains up and expected pressure signs to occur at about 6.5 (6.1 being the max load at 1.126" in VV 2001 guide). then, i exeeded 7.1 which is the max load for n340 for 180 gr .357 mag! at 7.4 still no bad signs! 7.8 and cratered primers started to show, 7.9 and there was some, but minimal primer flow. i decided to go back by .5 grains and began to mass produce the 7.4 grain load. chronoed it and the average velocity is 1137 fps! SD of 2 fps for 20 rds! and it's hell accurate! now, i know this ain't 3n38, but .5 back from where i saw the signs starting. this load fills up my carry mags now. anyone who would like to comment or caution me on this? on how it might store or perform after long storage, or might catastrophically fail someday for some reason? i tested at around 84 Fahrenheit, mid day in the tropics. Bnew armscor precision brass, CCI primers. 7.4 n340, OAL 1.155", Ave. 1137fps. sierra 180 gr sports masters.

BTW, for some stranger reason i produced cracked Bnew brass with (strangely) minimum published loads w/ N340 (5.4gr, OAL 1.126), this did not occur with any of the 7.0-7.9 loads.

Edited by Blazer-6

Hey buddy, we can't post anything pertaining to self-defense, to include load data, etc. If you change your topic to looking for higher PF loads or +P loads, then it would be much more plausible to assist with some of your questions.

i am sorry for putting defense in the topic. i apologize for my oversight as this word is an integrated part of my daily life being an army officer. i also hope the moderators will remove this topic for me and i will post a new topic.

Hey buddy, we can't post anything pertaining to self-defense, to include load data, etc.

Why not?

Forum rules...every time they start out like this, they end up going in the wrong direction so before we start heading down that slippery slope, I wanted to inform the OP of the rules. Here is the phrase:

"Intent This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged. And please, no hunting or "killing animals" (of any kind) threads. "

This is why I suggested to change the topic slightly to stay within the confines of the intent of this forum.

Thanks

Edited by gng4life

Aw... sorry

No problem, I just didn't want this going in the wrong direction but let's discuss your load dilemma...

BTW, do you shoot with PPSA at all there? I used to shoot with some of those folks up in Manila.

Hey buddy, we can't post anything pertaining to self-defense, to include load data, etc.

Why not?

Forum rules...every time they start out like this, they end up going in the wrong direction so before we start heading down that slippery slope, I wanted to inform the OP of the rules. Here is the phrase:

"Intent This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged. And please, no hunting or "killing animals" (of any kind) threads. "

This is why I suggested to change the topic slightly to stay within the confines of the intent of this forum.

Thanks

Where did you read these rules? I've not seen any rules hitting on these points, but would like to read them so I can follow them as well in the future.

Where did you read these rules? I've not seen any rules hitting on these points, but would like to read them so I can follow them as well in the future.

Click on "Guidelines" just below the search field, next to "View New Content."

I did some testing with my old 200 gr XTP .40 load and was not satisfied. since i have loads of VV N340, i planned to produce a new load with it, ideally a 180 gr breaking 1150 fps, to produce 500+ fpe and 800+ psi pressure wave (to those who believe in that..) to create results close as possible to a close range 5.56.. of course I thought 1150 fps w/ n340 would be over the charts at standard OAL. i determined 1.155 as the longest load that would feed reliably w/ 180 gr sierra sports masters in my gun (USP40). So i did some testing from 6.0 grains up and expected pressure signs to occur at about 6.5 (6.1 being the max load at 1.126" in VV 2001 guide). then, i exeeded 7.1 which is the max load for n340 for 180 gr .357 mag! at 7.4 still no bad signs! 7.8 and cratered primers started to show, 7.9 and there was some, but minimal primer flow. i decided to go back by .5 grains and began to mass produce the 7.4 grain load. chronoed it and the average velocity is 1137 fps! SD of 2 fps for 20 rds! and it's hell accurate! now, i know this ain't 3n38, but .5 back from where i saw the signs starting. this load fills up my carry mags now. anyone who would like to comment or caution me on this? on how it might store or perform after long storage, or might catastrophically fail someday for some reason? i tested at around 84 Fahrenheit, mid day in the tropics. Bnew armscor precision brass, CCI primers. 7.4 n340, OAL 1.155", Ave. 1137fps. sierra 180 gr sports masters.

BTW, for some stranger reason i produced cracked Bnew brass with (strangely) minimum published loads w/ N340 (5.4gr, OAL 1.126), this did not occur with any of the 7.0-7.9 loads.

I have had new, Armscor brass crack. As far as I'm concerned, all Armscor brass I find while inspecting brass, goes in the scrap bucket, along with any AMERC. :surprise:

Why not?

Thanks

In the forum guidelines section...go here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules