Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

185 SW FMJ

buckaroo45

Like the header says, will a Kimber 45 feed 185 grain FMJ SWC bullets? I have a friend that aquired 1K Hornady bullets and I have several powders (700X - 4756, etc) in small lots that I can use up and load at 1.180 or so for him. Before we go too far down that road I'd like to get a feel for how well they feed in the Kimber platform. Any thoughts?

Some of my magazines don't feed the JSWC very well. For me, I've had problems with Tripps, but Ed Browns handled them just fine. The followers on the two examples I give differ; Tripps are flat and the EBs are concave. Of course, the angles of the followers are probably a little different too. Load 'em up and if you have feed problems, experiment with different mags. On the other hand all of my mags seem to handle LSWC just fine.

It should work. Like the post above said some mags could cause problems...also the barrel/ramp on the Kimber might need some polishing also. Before you make too many rounds you will want to test some through the gun first. You will also want to pay close attention to your OAL.