Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Delta 180 FMJ w/WST Major

unit30

Thought I'd post this for anyone interested.

.40 Precision Delta 180 grain FMJ

WST powder

Federal small pistol primers

OAL 1.190

Slight crimp, .421

Dillon 550 with Dillon dies

Scheumann AET barrel

Sunny, 80 degrees, 2pm

Competitive Edge PAL chronograph

5.2 grains WST

Avg 915.3 = 164.7 PF (looks like I better bump it up a bit)

I will try the same load with Winchester small rifle primers next. I would say that will make a difference.

Edited by unit30

I'm hoping to test some Zero 180gr JHP loads using WST soon as well. I'll be working up a load for limited using WSF, TG & WST so I can see what I like best. I'm really hoping to see you make major with WST, and have acceptable accuracy. I'll be shooting a G20SF with a KKM 10-40 barrel, so I can load out to 1.260" if I really wanted to. If the barrel allows it, I'll probably keep them around 1.180".

Just out of curiosity, why SRP? Why not just bump the charge a little more? I would think that as long as you're not getting unburned powder in the barrel, a slightly heavier charge would get you there. It seems like with most powders, an over max charge will be more predictable than using a hotter primer. Would you agree or disagree?

I load some REALLY hot 10mm, some well over max published data, and some with CCI350's. I have seen load workups where a heavier charge with a LP primer gets the same/better velocity than a lighter charge with Mag primers. They reported less stressed brass with the standard primer/heavier charge loads as well. I know 10mm & 40 Major are 2 different animals, but I'm new to 40 Major, so I'm really interested in this.

• 2 weeks later...

wow i was under the understanding max for WST was: 4.3 info below from there web sight

180 GR. HDY XTP Winchester WST .400" 1.125" 3.9 830 28,300 PSI 4.3 888 32,400 PSI

Loading the bullet out longer in guns/mags that allow that makes a huge difference. A 40 loaded long enough can be compared to a 10mm loaded to SAAMI specs!

Mike

wow i was under the understanding max for WST was: 4.3 info below from there web sight

180 GR. HDY XTP Winchester WST .400" 1.125" 3.9 830 28,300 PSI 4.3 888 32,400 PSI

I run 4.8gr of WST behind a 180gr CMJ Montana Gold bullet. 5.8gr is listed as max in one of my manuals. 3.9gr is the start. As someone else said, the OP is loading for major and loading the bullet long which allows him to work up above max data to achieve major PF.