Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

larger fiber element.

Arkieron

I have a couple of 1911 pistols and a conversion that all have the Dawson fiber optic front. I have another one that is my favorite, with a Novak fiber optic that has the large element <.8 While I don't know that the others could go that large, I have been tempted to drill the Dawsons out and install .6 elements. Has anyone had experience3 with this modification? thanks.

First try making a larger bulb of melted fiber optic on your end. You can make a larger dot pretty easy and no more extra work involved. Several people have found this to work well

I appreciate the advice. I returned it and ordered a Caspian. The element is is .6 instead of .4. I will probably still try to make a larger dot. I love the Novak which is almost .8 , but they don't make it for the Heinie/sti dovetail. thanks again

Hello: Try changing the colour of the fiber insert first. You may see red better or the green. I found out this year that I do see the green better but actually too well. I have gone to the red fiber insert 0.040" with a small bulb on the end. I can pickup the top of the front sight better now instead of the insert. I did try the large insert and went back to the small size. I drilled out the sight to fit the 0.060" insert. Just a note on the Dawson front sights, some are very hard and you must use carbide to drill them out. Others are just soft and can be drilled out with HSS. Thanks, Eric