Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Data for Winchester AA?

sargenv

I've been chatting with someone via email and he is looking for shotshell data for Winchester AA powder. It was manufactured in the early 90's for a short time and I can't seem to find any data on it. I was wondering if any of you can provide some 12 gauge target load data for it. This is not related to 452AA or 473AA. It's just called AA.

I wonder if it was a precursor to the WST/WSL/WSF line. :huh:

Anyone?

Vince

Same here....i've been messing with Win powder since the 70's and i've never seen any thing marked AA and also have manuals going back that far and no AA powder....D I C K

PS ...like i said i've got old manuals so drop me a note if you find out what he has....

I wonder if the guy may have inadvertanly gotten ahold of some non-canister grade powder (Commercial grade) and that's why we've never heard of it. I'll email him back and see if this may be the case. I'll also look for a part #. He has been reloading for 30 years, so he has a bit more experience than I do..

I know he e-mailed Win (Olin) and they wouldn't give him any info. *shrug*

Vince

the only AA powders i can think of is 452 and 473.

one way a shotgun reloader can check and see if the powder is the same density as the other.. take a bushing in your shotgun reloader, weigh a charge of WST or 452 or whatever you call it. then put the mystery powder in there and weigh it...

look on the bushing chart and see what looks right,, its kinda iffy, but its closer than just guessing.

if you only have a pound of it, and still cant find data, i suggest celebrating the 4th with it. write your name with a powder trail and light it, cool stuff

now if you have 8+pounds, might oughta find something it will work in.

my 2 cents.

Might be super lite? but that never had AA on the can.

i have two circa 1995 cans of super target and super field that have AA, then super field or target under it...but it also has WSF1 and WST1 under that.

a side note: i have always found winchesters powder nomenclature kinda cryptic. in the early 90s, when i was just a wee lad, i tended to stay away from stuff i didnt know, plus the 10 pounds of bullseye just ran out about 5 years ago....BTW you have to shoot lots of 38 wadcutters to burn 10 pounds of bullseye..i used it in everything else though, 44, 357 45 12ga ect. its good when people move out of rent houses fast and leave a 8 pound jug an 2 1 pound cans.