Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First State Match

biscuit

This week I am shooting my first state (sectional) match in USPSA, no other state wide experience either. I have competed in 6-7 matches in USPSA so what should I expect and prepare for?

Don't let other people's chrono jitters get to you. You know that your loads will make PF, right? So use the time at chrono to stay focused on the game. The downtime during chrono and during lunch is an easy place to lose focus, at least from my experience.

Don't be afraid to ask for an overlay, or ask the RO to take a second look at your target.

No major changes to your equipment before the match!!! It blows me away every time I hear someone at a major say something like "i changed my main spring, extractor, sear, etc, etc" and didn't have time to test fire it, so hopefully i'll be ok" :surprise:

Bring extra ammo ( if you're not flying ) and leave it in the car. Better to have it in the parking lot, than at home.

If you're squadded with shooters that are better than you, watch what they do, see how they break down a stage, but make sure you know why they are shooting it a certain way ( after their run, if they seem friendly enough, ask them why, they'll probably be glad to tell you) Make sure you still have your own game plan though. They may not know the best way to do it. Also, don't feel like you have to shoot as fast as them, stay within your own abilities.

Walk the stages...a lot. if time permits, and you can show up the day before, do it. Walk the stages, provided it's not a shooting day. if it is, show up near the end and walk the stages that are done for the day. Make sure you are polite and ask any Stage RO's if you can walk the stage. Don't bother asking if a squad is on the stage, or about to walk onto the stage, that's their time to walk it, not yours. But either way, state/sectionals stages will probably be a little harder than you're used to. It helps having more than the 5 minutes you get when you're squad gets to that stage.

HAVE FUN! States/Sectionals always have a feel to them ( to me ), that is very cool. Hard to describe, but you'll know what i mean when you're walking around and see the sponsor banners, vendor tents if they have them, and see all of the shooters walking around.

Glenn nailed it about a particular feel to a Level II and higher match. I know it can be electrifying. Enjoy the feeling, but don't let it overwhelm you and make you feel like you have to go faster, or amp up your performance.

Also, the other thing to expect is the prize table! If you can preview it, do so.

No major changes to your equipment before the match!!! It blows me away every time I hear someone at a major say something like "i changed my main spring, extractor, sear, etc, etc" and didn't have time to test fire it, so hopefully i'll be ok" :surprise:

Bring extra ammo ( if you're not flying ) and leave it in the car. Better to have it in the parking lot, than at home.

If you're squadded with shooters that are better than you, watch what they do, see how they break down a stage, but make sure you know why they are shooting it a certain way ( after their run, if they seem friendly enough, ask them why, they'll probably be glad to tell you) Make sure you still have your own game plan though. They may not know the best way to do it. Also, don't feel like you have to shoot as fast as them, stay within your own abilities.

Walk the stages...a lot. if time permits, and you can show up the day before, do it. Walk the stages, provided it's not a shooting day. if it is, show up near the end and walk the stages that are done for the day. Make sure you are polite and ask any Stage RO's if you can walk the stage. Don't bother asking if a squad is on the stage, or about to walk onto the stage, that's their time to walk it, not yours. But either way, state/sectionals stages will probably be a little harder than you're used to. It helps having more than the 5 minutes you get when you're squad gets to that stage.

HAVE FUN! States/Sectionals always have a feel to them ( to me ), that is very cool. Hard to describe, but you'll know what i mean when you're walking around and see the sponsor banners, vendor tents if they have them, and see all of the shooters walking around.

You forgot to tell him no FTEs on the first stage of the match. :lol:

You forgot to tell him no FTEs on the first stage of the match. :lol:

SC Sectional in two weeks, and that's your response?

Karma..meet Glefos....Glefos...meet Karma!!

And just for the record, it was only one FTE (along with the two mikes), followed by two mikes on stage two.

Oh yeah, word to the wise if you're shooting production, and you drop a mag with 9 rounds in it, it's a good idea to know where it is in case you run out on the last array. Othewise you will look really silly on video looking around for a magazine when you reach down to your belt and the only thing you grab is air. :blush:

In my experience with level 2 and 3 matches, they are just longer (more stages) and may have newer/nicer props than our regular monthly matches. At a sectional you will probably run into some people you have not met before and many that you have. Other than that all matches are just a group of stages that you shoot one at a time don't get worked up about it.

Mike

Thank you for your input. I was in a group with a GM and 4M, Man those guys are fast. I found myself admiring how the Open GM shot the stages, but I learned the most from the M who was shooting Production like me. He was smooth and very fuild and towards the end of the day I asked him how he was so smooth and he told to never stop momentum if you can. He explained to me to shoot the target that chages or slows you down the most last if you can or avoid putting yourself in that situation if possible. He pointed out how I made that difficult shot in the middle of the stage and it cost me about 4 sec instead of falling out to hit that same target. Great advise for a someone who shot his first pistol 10 months ago and trying to learn how to be their best. Don't mean to say I didn't learn from the other guys but thats the one big thing I learned that stuck and 3-4 sec. a stage would have changed my final score alot.

I have RO'd many state matches in Indiana.

Heed the advice about asking for over lays. I actually welcome shooters asking me for an over lay and ........ Low and behold the over lay goes the shooters way sometimes Working big matches is grueling, these guys can make the wrong calls. But, no RO I've ever met wanted to give any shooter the wrong call. My experience is trying to be helpful, I'm sure the RO's you meet at your State will be the same.

My other advice is get there as early as possible. Even the day before if possible. Run each stage until you know it. Take your time, watch the best shooters. Generally, their stage breakdown is going to be a really good place to start. You might not be able to duplicate their "times", but if the shots aren't extremely difficult, you can duplicate their positions.