Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please recommend best metering powders for Hornady Press

PaseMkr

Hi all,

Can anyone who uses a Hornady LNL AP Press please let me know from your experiences which powders you have found measure the most reliably and accurately though your Hornady Case Activated Powder Drop. I have only tried Vihtavuori N350 so far and have found that if my target charge is 4.7, the charges end up fluctuating anywhere from approximately 4.4 to 5.0. I realize that unless I had measure each charge, there will be variances, but I would like to get a little more consistency. Right now, I have been primary set up to load 9mm and will also be looking to do a lot or 45 ACP. Thanks!

Thanks,

Steve

WST and W231 are the main powders I've used for 45, both meter very well in my LNL. WST will tend to pack in the rotor pocket, sometimes yielding +.2gr, but most always spot on. Power Pistol also meters well. Any ball or small flake powder should meter well.

I am surprised you are having issues with the Hornady. Myself and other highpower shooters replaced the powder measures on our Dillons with the Hornady system as they seem to be more accurate with stick powders like Reloader 15, which are notorious for being difficult to meter properly.

Adam

I am surprised you are having issues with the Hornady. Myself and other highpower shooters replaced the powder measures on our Dillons with the Hornady system as they seem to be more accurate with stick powders like Reloader 15, which are notorious for being difficult to meter properly.

Adam

+1 I get less than .2gr on RL15 and H4350. Pistol powders are less than .1gr usually. Clays, Solo100, titegroup, 231 all measure really well.

Hi all,

Can anyone who uses a Hornady LNL AP Press please let me know from your experiences which powders you have found measure the most reliably and accurately though your Hornady Case Activated Powder Drop. I have only tried Vihtavuori N350 so far and have found that if my target charge is 4.7, the charges end up fluctuating anywhere from approximately 4.4 to 5.0. I realize that unless I had measure each charge, there will be variances, but I would like to get a little more consistency. Right now, I have been primary set up to load 9mm and will also be looking to do a lot or 45 ACP. Thanks!

Thanks,

Steve

I would recommend calling Hornady tech support. I was having trouble with accurate charges on my press and when I called them I found out that I was missing a part. There should be a baffle in the drop that helps ensure even pressure on the powder entering the drop. Part #480027 POWDER BAFFLE. They should send you one for free if you are missing it. After installing the baffle all is smooth sailing!