Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sending red back and going blue, need a little help though.

Djstorm100

Hey guys, My lock n load broke after a week of owning it. I got new parts and it is still not acting right, so I said the hell with it and sending it back to cabela's.

I'm going with Dillon but have a few questions

1) Is the roller/place handle worth it?

2) Do I need the strong mount? My work bench is 33 1/4 high my stool is Kobalt stool from lowes, I can't find the specs on how tall it is. I'm 6'2 also.

3) Does the Dillon come with bullet tray for the completed bullets?

I only load for 40/45 right now and I have dies from hornady.

This is what I was going to get so far

XL650

Caliber conversion for 40 (77.95)

and tool head and power die (39.99)

Any thoughts or advice would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks

Dustin

A blue plastic bin to catch the loaded cartridges is indeed included with the machine.The strong mount raises the height of the machine about 6 3/4".

Add a toolhead #13863 and a powder die #20064 so you can leave your dies set up and adjusted. If you opt for the strong mount, then I suggest added the aluminum bullet tray #22214. This bolts to the left side of the strong mount, and holds the projectile up at the same height as the cases. If you bolt the machine directly to your bench, just set a box of bullets to the left of the machine.

From Brian's Dillon info page:

When seated (or if you load standing), the machine's handle (at rest) should be even with your shoulder.

For the 550 and the 650, without the Strong Mount and with the machine "at rest" (handle up), both handles (Ball or Roller) are approximately 7.5 to 8 inches above the bench.

The 550/650 Strong Mount raises both machines 8.5 inches off the bench.

The 650 ONLY Strong Mount raises the 650 6.5 inches off the bench.

Measuring your bench relative your shoulder along with the information above should give you a good idea on the strong mount. Unless you think it's going to make the press way too tall (unlikely since you're 6'2") I say get it if only so you can add the bullet tray. I think having a tray of bullets a few inches from where you're placing them helps tremendously.

Whoops, my mistake. Been a decade-ish since I got mine. Bought a couple extra bins so I could just put a new one in place and keep loading rather than dealing with loaded rounds when it was full.

I agree on the bullet tray.

I would think the strong mount might make it too tall to be comfortable.

My bench is just under 36" high and has drawers. Without the SM I couldn't use the drawers. Also, I couldn't comfortably stand to load (I mostly sit, though); 6'1" tall.

I'm 6' 2", my bench is 36" and I have the 650 specific strong mount. Standing works fine, so does sitting on my 30" stool I use in the loading room(I usually kind of lean on it though, just to take the load off). I can see right down in the cases perfectly. The little red press next to it has an aftermarket handle that makes it feel the same height as the 650.

post-35543-0-21268900-1331620685_thumb.j

Edited by GT1