Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Routine Maintenance

FRANKIE D

Hi Guys:

I have Match 9mm with approx. 10K rounds through it. I was wondering if anyone has some sort of "maintenance" schedule for replacing things like springs or other parts instead of waiting for some kind of failure and then taking action. I use Henning's flat trigger, 13lb hammer spring and long firing pin. I'm going to the Va-Md section match in May and really don't want a mid stage crisis. I've collected a number of spare springs/parts figuring I might need something which gets lost when I'm doing a deep clean on the gun. So, Any thoughts or recommendations? I'm also wondering about the firing pin spring that came with a 8lb Wolff recoil spring I use for softer practice loads. It's really long compared to the factory spring. Has anyone used this spring or should we stick with the factory FP spring? Thanks for your ideas.

Frank

I just carry extra parts and wait for them to break. I haven't had any failures on anything yet. I was going to replace some stuff at 10K on my Limited, but got lazy and everything is still working fine at ~14K..

My Baby Eagle also has ~10K and its running fine too. I did have to touch up the extractor at ~8K as the edge had worn down slightly and was leaving empties in the chamber on occasion. I filed down the foot a little to put more tension on the case and it runs great again.

CZ's are known for their slide stops breaking, but I've never heard of it breaking on Tanfoglios. For my peace of mind, I use the Henning slide stop pin.

Another common failure for CZ's is the trigger return spring, but since you have the Henning flat trigger, there is much much lower chance of failure there with the simple compression spring used.

I keep breaking the Henning Flat Trigger pin and nut. The pin keeps breaking where the nut attaches. Lately, I've just been shooting with the pin inserted and no nut. At "Make Ready", I just double check the pin is inserted all the way. I saw a tip recently about not tightening the nut and just applying some red Loctite. I'll try that later this season.

What I have in my spare parts kit: the old slide stop, an extra extractor, an extra recoil spring, and spare trigger pins and nuts.

I like your opening sentence Nealio. I guess if it ain't broke.... Any thought on mag spring changes? I just got some of the new K9 mags with Henning's 140mm base pads and Gram's 11 coil springs. After I let the springs sit for a couple days I can load 23 rounds - cool! Is there a way to tell if the springs are getting "soft" or doesn't that really happen? As you might guess I'm somewhat new to this sport and my Match is my first handgun.

Edited by FRANKIE D

I like your opening sentence Nealio. I guess if it ain't broke.... Any thought on mag spring changes? I just got some of the new K9 mags with Henning's 140mm base pads and Gram's 11 coil springs. After I let the springs sit for a couple days I can load 23 rounds - cool! Is there a way to tell if the springs are getting "soft" or doesn't that really happen? As you might guess I'm somewhat new to this sport and my Match is my first handgun.

On the old mags I could tell the spring was getting soft when the last round or two would misfeed. It would get caught nose up trying to enter the chamber.

I haven't had that issue with the new mags (yet) and I'm running the Grams follower in most and the stock follower with the Grams spring in 1.

extractor spring...I don't think I ever really found the need to change the recoil spring due to wear. New extractor after 6000-10,000rds possibly. If replacing the extractor spring fixes extraction issues..than you are good to go. Firing pin spring....I have not had to replace them due to any problems, but I bought a used Open gun that had a firing pin spring that was way too short, the firing pin was getting stuck. Just chucked a new OEM firing pin spring. Wolff firing pin spring seems a little too long but cut a couple of coils if you find you are getting light strikes. (a COUPLE of coils, not 6-10 coils or half the spring)

The only thing I had break was a rear sight..the big screw snapped...although that gun at the time had approx. 60,000rds thru it. I had a sear spring that was almost wore thru...but that is an oddity. Never broke a trigger return spring, but I have heard of it happening. I replaced one as I felt the spring had either lost tension, or had gotten bent during assembly; the trigger did not want to go out when released to reset a few times, and felt sluggish other times.

Positive trigger reset is a good thing. Some folks bend that trigger return spring to lighten the trigger press. I would not as I want a fast reset, even when the internals are filthy dirty.