Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Samson Evolution or MI SS Gen 2

Lars

I have a few Evo rails and after using them I cannot find any area in which they are lacking. They are easy to install, lightweight, easy to hold on to, and have about any accessory you care to bolt on a rail available. Both Stag and Colt have chosen the Evo for their factory built 3 gun rifles.

Not to mention Samson has been a big supporter of 3 gun for the past 2 or three years. I haven't seen Midwest sponsoring any matches or providing product for prize tables. I'm sure MI makes a good product, but they don't appear to offer anything above and beyond the Evo.

Got a 15" Evo off the prize table last year at RM3G, so I used it for my new rifle build. For what it is its great, but if I were going to spend money I would probably get another Featherweight handgaurd with firebird nut. (gives a little more length out front then the JP nut) AFTER I convince James or Mark to put a top rail on it :P

Edited by DocMedic

Finally have some money to work on my rifle. Help me decide. :huh:

I just installed the Samson Evolution 12.0 made for Rainier Arms. It is awesome! Well made, strong and simple to install. It took a total of 5 minutes to install. If you can use an allen wrench, then you're golden.

Finally have some money to work on my rifle. Help me decide. :huh:

I just installed the Samson Evolution 12.0 made for Rainier Arms. It is awesome! Well made, strong and simple to install. It took a total of 5 minutes to install. If you can use an allen wrench, then you're golden.

That Rainer handguard looks great!

So, can the evolution be mounted on the JP barrel nut? I have a 12 inch JP/VTAC now. Or should I buy a 15" JP to replace it. I think they are a little heavier.

So, can the evolution be mounted on the JP barrel nut? I have a 12 inch JP/VTAC now. Or should I buy a 15" JP to replace it. I think they are a little heavier.

The Evo will only work w/ a standard (milspec) barrel nut.

If you want a longer, lighter tube and don't want to change out the JP barrel nut, I'd suggest contacting Mark at Carbon Arms. See the dealer forum for info. They make some very cool products.

They did batting cage practice with them for durability testing, as I recall. Beyond that, I don't have any serious data. Mine will arrive in a few days as part of a Carbon Arms 16" barrel upper assembly.

I agree with Bryan. Call Mark over at Carbon Arms. He competes in major 3-gun matches and pistol matches, etc or a regular basis. Meanwhile, my 11" Samson is getting transferred to my "defense"' upper. I like it, but for 16" barrel competition, I was looking for a very light system.

I have no financial interest in Carbon Arms, but I'm very appreciative of the customer service as a customer of their shotgun loading systems and the new upper.