Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hk p30 in .40 or .45?

Mike21STI

I'm looking to pick up an HK p 30, this will be primarily for carry but I'm up in the air as to whether or not I want to get it in a .40 or a .45. I haven't shot either of them but in the store they felt great in the hand. I know in some of the polymer framed guns the .45 shoots softer than the .40. Is it the same with this gun? Let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, you're talking about two different guns.

The P30 comes in 9mm and .40S&W only. If you're looking at HK's .45ACP's, then you have the USP, HK45, and HK45C (compact). I have a P30 (9mm) and HK45C.

The P30 has the spiderman grips. You probably saw the HK45 that has similar grips but is larger overall (including the grip size). The USP and HK45C had different grips that are more flattened.

In my opinion, the .45 shoots as soft as the 9 and I think it's because they both feel "right" in the hand. The HK .45s have a lower magazine capacity, and that's because they kept the grips slimmer for those who don't have monster sized hands. I kept passing up the massive grip frames of the Glocks, FNH, and Sigs until I found this one.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.

You are right, I saw that they didn't make the p30 in 45 after I posted this but the frames seemed similar to each other. I am a fan of the p30, though I have not actually fired one, I have had my eyes on one for some time because it just fits great in the hand. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I was thinking about a .40 still not sure yet, all my other carry guns are .45...

The HK45 is a single stack gun and feels quite like a 1911 in it's grip angle and function. You just don't have all those problems with reliability. ;)

The P30 in 40 feels great to me, and the interchangeable backstraps makes the gun customizable to you. You really can't go wrong with either, IMO...

A

I think the only thing you should decide on now is whether you want the traditional DA/SA (V3 models) or the LEM triggers and with/without the thumb safety. On the HK45 and HK45C, if you get a DA/SA, and later wish to convert to LEM, there is a factory LEM kit that you can buy and do yourself, or send to HK to do it. For the P30, HK doesn't have a kit and doesn't support any conversions, although a few people figured out how to do it - I wouldn't personally.

My collection of HKs is mixed, with two being LEM and two being TDA, so I've been lucky enough to take my time deciding which I like better. I'm leaning towards the LEM for the consistent trigger pull. Note that the LEMs are more difficult to find though, since they seem to be more in demand and I've noticed less LEMs on the market vs the V3 models.

I am also looking at the hk45c to carry. I will say its a shame the grip on the 45c isn't the same as the 45s. So I'm trying to find a trade for my usp 45t. So I can have that nice warm feeling in my hand every time I go to the range. I have a gs here that charges 5 dollars for gun rental, plus you have to buy the ammo from them. But I Han swap guns at no charge so it allows you to do comparisons on guns before you buy them as long as they have on that is a rental, they have a great selection of guns for rent.

• 1 year later...

Have a couple P30's, V1 and V3, HK45 V1, HK45c V1. For carry I recommend the HK45c. Yes the spidey grips on the HK45 is better but I use a Lone Wolf Qwik Grip for more texture. It doesn't hand as much girth as the Hogue grip and doesn't grab on to clothes as much as the Hogue. Other people use the Pachymar and Uncle Mike's slip on grips, I have no experience with them. You can also stipple. I would love to see someone stipple a HK45c grip to make it similar to the spidey grips.

I do like the P30 in V1 and V3. If I were to carry one of them it would be the V3. Feel a little safer with the first shot DA and the reset on the V1's are longer. I also have a G19 and M&P Shield that I carry. It depends on what I'm doing and how I'm dressed.

I guess the main question is would you carry a 9mm or 45?