Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a few good parts...

I'm rebuilding a 1999 box from leftover components retained from the 2003 rebuild/upgrade. I actually kept quite a few things but still need:

1. HDD

2. NIC

3. CD-ROM

4. floppy drive

Any of you good folks have some hanging about that you'd like to sell...? :huh:

The box went together last Saturday but I borrowed items from the above list and need to swap them back. The extra mouse and keyboard I found at a garage sale the day before. :D:P In fact, the $1 keyboard was so nice I'm going to swap that for the cheap Chinese one upon which this message is currently being typed.

The salvaged box is destined to be my peer-to-peer exercise here at the house when it gets fully tweaked. It's infinitely more hospitable to let your guests sit at their own guest computer. ;)

Then when THAT'S done, it'll be time to move to bigger digs so I can form a network........ :wacko::wacko::D

Seriously, I'm looking for lot-o'-parts.

Thanks!

Get a subscription to Nuts and Volts. There's a ton of electronics resellers in there that sell outmoded equipment dirt cheap. The other place to check is the Tektronix surplus store in the Portland area. There is ALWAYS interesting stuff there. Boeing surplus in Tacoma is another good bet.

You mentioned you needed a NIC........ how up to date do you need to be? I've got one or two spare OLD ones that you can simply HAVE if they will do what you need. I'll have to dig them out to verify what they even are, but if they'll work, you are welcome to them....... say the word, and I'll dig them out.

MiKeMaN

I think we could be fairly flexible on the age of a NIC... perhaps avoiding anything with exclusively old BNC connections, yes, but anything after that having obvious RJ-45 connections. I have an old Kingston "KNE2000T+" but honestly can't recall whether it came from my old-old (first system)(1996) or the Second Great Rebuild in 1998-99. In any case, it was a bit of work finding an EXACT driver for it online yesterday, but came close. Which all means the old Kingston may or may not work when I bring it in to the workbench location on Saturday and try the driver and the NIC. Assuming this older NIC even still works. We'll see.

Perhaps I should take you up on your gracious offer if you're planning on tossing them out. Very thoughful of you. I'll pay postage, of course.. Just PM for details.

Tah!

Siggie,

I still have some spare parts from (dare I say old) 486 and PII (SCSI) PCs in my loft. Not sure if that is the kind of stuff you're looking for, anyway...

If you wish I will provide details of that stuff (that I'm ready to trash because they only eat up room and provide continuous wife growling... <_< ).

Heaven forbid we should have too much "wife growling" in the house. ;) My spare bedroom is beginning to look like a combination of photo studio and computer-junkie space.

The chip is AMD K6-2 w/3D Now! vintage (1999, in this instance), and the board is Soltek, same vintage. Both killers in their day and still running fine. So we should probably stay in the 1999-and-later category... which covers a lot of ground, actually. I happen to have two perfectly good Pentium II chips and boards just sitting around, too. Probably will end up donating those to the organization that's providing me bench space at the moment (a local ISP that provides access at low cost to certain parts of the community, and who runs an all-Linux public computer access lab in downtown Eugene... as well as providing certain scheduled educational classes for those who need it.)

Cultural Note: The Oregon Public Network (now a legitimate non-profit with a nice storefront and all) is formerly the Eugene Free Net, an entity that started literally as a server in someone's closet a few years back... and grew to a near-unmanagemable service owing to its popularity and user response. It was totally free to lower-income folks, etc., and wildly popular in its day, and run mainly by volunteers. This is the kind of thing that happens in Eugene a lot. The IRS and a few other folks, however, got a little worked up about it and so it evolved into something formal but still genuinely successful.

So, that's most of the story.