Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8 or 9 rounds

JBetts

I tried searching but every topic about extensions and rounds popped up. This is kind of time sensitive so thought I'd just ask.

I need to order an extension and they are finally in stock. I keep changing mind on a +4 or +5 giving 8 or 9 rounds. Barrel length isn't an issue because right now it's a 28inch and it will be cut down, either option lines up with a cutting location. The local match I'm planning to start at has no round limit other than no more than the stage requires in the gun at the start but I do plan on going to other matches in the future. Thanks for helping.

I do local stuff only just like you. Rules state no more than 9 rounds before the buzzer goes off. I purchased the +5 so I can load 9+1. So after the buzzer I can load 1 more, then on reloads I can reload 10. All personal preference. I have a 20" barrel and my extension sticks out about 3" further than my barrel but that isn't an issue.

9 round magazine with a 1 round plug. I've found a 9 round magazine gives me more versatility for off 8 count reloads. The 1 round plug is so that "if" you attend a match with an 8 round magazine max, you can plug it at 8. Shotgun magazine capacity is kind of a wild card at matches with different wording on the rules. It's also a bit of a hot topic on the forum. In my area there are 3 regular matches and there are 3 different sets of shotgun magazine rules. One match allows longer tubes, with 8+1 only at the start. After that you can use the whole tube. Another match in my area allows 9 shells in the gun at start, meaning the MD allows you to start with an empty chamber and 9 in the mag. The third match is by USPSA rules which is 8+1 at all times, meaning never more than 8 in the magazine. The 9 round mag with a 1 round plug (inserted when you need it) will allow you to use the same shotgun in all matches without violating any rules.

I run my new Versa Max with 10+1 under a 26" barrel. Before that I ran an 11-87 with the same capacity under a 22" barrel. This approach gives me even more flexibility - I can shoot 10 shots from one position without running the gun to bolt lock. The extra 2" of length is inconsequential IMHO:

3-GunVersaMaxFeb2012.jpg

2011Tac11-87diagonal.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

10+1

Upside:

- You can always plug if "capacity" is limited to 9(8+1).

- Starting with 8+1, can reload 4 after only 2 shots. Gives you more flexibility in reloads vs. course design.

- If you shoot/reload/count in 4s, even if I miscount by 1 or 2 shells, I usually have an extra round and won't go dry or room for a full 4/8 reload.

- Less spring pressure/easier loading when at 8 rds in a 9/10 rd tube than in an 8 rd tube.

Downside:

- Heavier? A few more inches of alum tube? Really?

- Longer gun, possibly harder to handle if forced to shoot close/barrel thru ports (back away from the barricad! and which is why I kept my +5 as an option)

With the tube longer than the barrel/choke, I feel less bad when dumping the gun.

Im still considering a 12+1 tube.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Another thing to consider is that if you need to load slugs or buck in with you birdshot, then a longer tube allows more flexibility especially if you have slightly longer shells. An 8rd tube with birdshot, may not hold 8 rds if you have slugs or buckshot thrown in. Been there and done that and learned the hard way....

Mick