Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Master Replacement

Big Guy

Currently own a Brazos SX that came with a recoil master that is kind of heavy, so I would like to replace it with a standard guide rod and spring (8 lbs). Last night I tried installing the standard guide rod and spring, but due to the length of the spring, the gun would not make a complete cycle (won’t even allow locking the slide back). Read some old posts and saw that someone recommended using commander length springs. Problem is that I can’t find light weight commander length springs.

What options do I have? Do I need to cut couple of coils from the recoil spring? Can I replace the capture spring within the RM?

:D

MIght get ahold of Wolf springs and get some commander length variable springs, see if this solves some of your problems, be sure to : polish the tag ends of your springs, recoil springs rotate upon compression

and if the tag ends grab at either end it can relly mess ya up.

Ji/Pa

Sailors :lol:

If your Brazos Sx is older then 2 1/2 years I think it has a stock type Recoil Master in it, give Bob a call, he is making custom recoil master or somthing like that,I put one in my older Sx and it is a lot flater now. I used standard guide rod and a 9 lbs. spring for a little time and did not like it, it was not 100%

Edited by 9supercomp

I talked to Brazos (both by phone and in person) and I believed I heard the phrase "I don't know what the previous owner did to the gun" at least three to four times.

I would have preferred to hear "let me see the gun and check out what the problem is" instead. Wasn't happy at the time.

As such, I would like to stay away from a modified RM and/or any other BCG products for now.

Edited by Big Guy

:D

MIght get ahold of Wolf springs and get some commander length variable springs, see if this solves some of your problems, be sure to : polish the tag ends of your springs, recoil springs rotate upon compression and if the tag ends grab at either end it can relly mess ya up.

Hey everyone. I just replaced the RM in my Brazos SX w/ an FLGR and Wolff springs. I'm shooting light loads (3-gunner so no PF to worry about). I went to the range the other day and started w/ the 9lb spring. Gun functioned perfectly and it felt better than the RM. 8lb also functioned perfectly and felt even better. 7lb felt even better put a couple times the slide would "lock" back. But it wasn't engaging the slide lock. If I just touched the back of the slide it would go forward and chamber another round. This happened 3 times or so in 100 rounds. I then thought maybe the 7lb was too light so I went back to the 8lb. Same thing - it would randomly "lock back".

So will polishing the spring ends help and how would I go about doing such a thing? Any idea if that is what's happening? I was also thinking of getting a shock buff as I was thinking maybe the slide is hitting the stop too hard and somehow jamming. Maybe a buff would help?

Ideas?

Hey everyone. I just replaced the RM in my Brazos SX w/ an FLGR and Wolff springs. I'm shooting light loads (3-gunner so no PF to worry about). I went to the range the other day and started w/ the 9lb spring. Gun functioned perfectly and it felt better than the RM. 8lb also functioned perfectly and felt even better. 7lb felt even better put a couple times the slide would "lock" back. But it wasn't engaging the slide lock. If I just touched the back of the slide it would go forward and chamber another round. This happened 3 times or so in 100 rounds. I then thought maybe the 7lb was too light so I went back to the 8lb. Same thing - it would randomly "lock back".

So will polishing the spring ends help and how would I go about doing such a thing? Any idea if that is what's happening? I was also thinking of getting a shock buff as I was thinking maybe the slide is hitting the stop too hard and somehow jamming. Maybe a buff would help?

Ideas?

Like you, I replaced the RM with a standard guide rod and 9 lb variable power commander spring. While shooting the first mag I did experienced the "unexpected" slide lock following the last round in the mag. Reloaded again and kept shooting with no problems.

As for the buffer, I have some at the house and will try them this weekend.