Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady lnl pistol powder micrometer

bthunter019

Guys I cant't post yet in the classifieds and this is the only way I could think of doing this. I am looking to buy a powder micrometer for pistol powder for the hornady lnl press. I have looked everywhere on the Internet, and nobody has one. Was hoping someone here might have one for sale. I thought I would try here. Thanks

Guys I cant't post yet in the classifieds and this is the only way I could think of doing this. I am looking to buy a powder micrometer for pistol powder for the hornady lnl press. I have looked everywhere on the Internet, and nobody has one. Was hoping someone here might have one for sale. I thought I would try here. Thanks

You should be able to get one directly from Hornady. But, regular Pistol Insert (you'll have to get pistol rotor anyway) works just fine.

I haven't used a Micrometer Insert (and I'm new reloading) but wouldn't it enable you to record a powder drop setting for a particular load for use later? I know some may buy an extra standard insert for each load. Wouldn't the micrometer insert eliminate this?

Late LNL presses come with pistol inserts. IMHO, micrometer isn't worth it.

I haven't used a Micrometer Insert (and I'm new reloading) but wouldn't it enable you to record a powder drop setting for a particular load for use later? I know some may buy an extra standard insert for each load. Wouldn't the micrometer insert eliminate this?

Yes, in theory. In use, it is close, but not spot on. Especially between different lots of powder. I use it, and like it. I load 2-3 different 9mm loads, 2-3 different .45 and soon .40. It's nice to be able to get close, then fine tune. It saves me some time.

Once dialed in, the standard one works fine for me as well. However, I've been loading several calibers and have been testing a lot of different powders so I switch calibers/loads often. It takes me quite a bit of time to dial in the right powder drop with each change.

I was hoping to use is as DWFAN mentioned above.

Is it even worth it? The regular one works just fine.n320 loads are within 5 fps of each other.

Thanks. That is what I was hoping it would do for me. Just get close.

Yes, in theory. In use, it is close, but not spot on. Especially between different lots of powder. I use it, and like it. I load 2-3 different 9mm loads, 2-3 different .45 and soon .40. It's nice to be able to get close, then fine tune. It saves me some time.

Thanks. That is what I was hoping it would do for me. Just get close.

I agree once you get it dialed in you do not have to change it and the stock one is fine but for working up loads or using same powder drop for multiple calibers/loads, it is indispensible. Saves a lot of time and I found once I figured out the correction factor is it very, very accurate and saves a lot of time. It gets you very close very quickly --

Again -- highly recommend and I got mine straight from Hornady.

Once dialed in, the standard one works fine for me as well. However, I've been loading several calibers and have been testing a lot of different powders so I switch calibers/loads often. It takes me quite a bit of time to dial in the right powder drop with each change.

An alternative is to buy new pistol inserts for each caliber/load. The regular inserts are ~$9 or so compared to ~$28 for the micrometer, but with an insert for each caliber you just slap one in and go.