Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competing is like driving home

• 3 months later...

I am new to competition shooting but have been shooting a long time. My fundamentals are good but all the movement and fast shooting really throw a monkey wrench into everything. I shot a IDPA match yesterday where there were several complicated stages. I really struggled with them and had to slow down and make it happen. We had one stage that required 7 rounds with a steel that activated 3 moving targets (2 were disappearing) we started with 6 rounds. I was worried about all the moving targets but I shot this stage great. There was not time for my mind to screw it up. I was only 3 points down and the targets were very fast. The more I think the worse I do. This stage I have no idea what went on.

Edited by GARD72977

• 2 months later...

I'm sure everyone has done it (or I'm really weird) where they get almost home, or home from work and they have not a clue how they got there. Once that buzzer goes off that's how I shoot. The few things I remember seeing is the sight moving from recoil and that is really it. When I try to recall what happened all I can remember is making ready, and clearing the firearm to show clear. It's kind of funny to me because I have some really bad ADD, but once that buzzer goes off I'm in the zone.

I started thinking about this when I was reading a thread about a guy having a conversation with himself while shooting, and thought to myself there is no possible way I could do that. Everything I do once that buzzer goes off is just instinctive.

My question is, are most people like me or are most people able to recall and coach themselves while shooting?

I'd say a little bit of both. I program all the movement, reloads, etc. But I'm always fully aware of where I am and what I'm doing. I relate it to the professional golfers who visualize their shots and can recall everything about the entire round. However, I'm not thinking when I running the stage, I doing what I programmed. Just along for the ride and ready to adjust as necessary.

• 4 months later...