Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone loading .41 Magnum?

Canuck223

I'm playing with a S&W Model 58, and will be working up a load with 210g Berrys bullets. I'm looking to just make major for fun and giggles, not play Dirty Harry.

I was looking on Hodgdon's website, as I usually have Clays and Clays Universal on hand. (As well as VV N320 and a bit of Herco)

Since I'm loading to the bottom end of the available reloading data, I was thinking about starting with 4.0 gr of Clays, but invite opinion from the hive mind.

I'm not sure if that will make major. I load quite a bit of .41 and .414 SM, but at the upper end of the scale. The 210 Berry's out of my .41 is 336 PF.

My snakeshot load is 110 grains of #9 shot over 4.0 grains of Clays, and it runs at 1100 fps. Best I can offer.

I'm not sure if that will make major. I load quite a bit of .41 and .414 SM, but at the upper end of the scale. The 210 Berry's out of my .41 is 336 PF.

My snakeshot load is 110 grains of #9 shot over 4.0 grains of Clays, and it runs at 1100 fps. Best I can offer.

Do you use gas checks over the powder? I Thought about trying to make a few with a gas check over the powder and card for the top wad.

As for the Berrys bullet, I expect to play around a bit. Part of me wondersif I'll stabilize the bullet at only 800 fps or so.

For the snake loads I use a trimmed .410 shot cup, put in shot and cover with a fiber .410 shot card and then a heavy roll crimp.

I bought a bunch of the .410 shotshell stuff, ss if you need some, drop me a PM.

I've killed several snakes with the load. Rumor has it I shot a head clean off a 10' rattler at RM3G one year (actually it had 10 rattles, about 8 feet long and it died instantly, but the head remained attached)

Stick with a powder used for Cowboy Action loads. You have to watch all that empty space in the case. Some powders like Titegroup are made for those situations. I see Hodgdon does list loads for Clays also. Titegroup is supposed to be forgiving on powder placement.