Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to skip the commercials on DVDs

It's become literally impossible to skip the advertisements (i.e. previews) that are found at the beginning of most DVD's these days. You can't jump to the title, or fast forward, or jump chapters or anything but sit there and watch.

Well, I found a better way. Just put the DVD in the player and then watch something on broadcast TV, or read a book, or go for a walk, or do some chores for 15-30 min. When you come back, the commercials will be over and you can watch the movie you paid good money for.

I've got a couple DVDs with that problem.... the real downside is it's the kid's movies, and they don't understand why you're not starting the show they want. Hard to distract them for 8 previews.

-rvb

I don't have any problems fast forwarding through it

Nope. Used to be able to but they are even disabling that now. You can punch every button on that remote and absolutely nothing will stop them.

It's possible that you can gain control with some DVD players, but any of the four I've tested recently.

Well, another consideration for films you can't get anywhere BUT dvd is to rip a .m4v version it using a combination of handbrake and vlc (handbrake is the app; vlc is the converter/decoder), and then stream it from iTunes or whatever to your TV. I've done that with a few platters here and really can't tell the difference in picture or sound quality between this and the actual disk. Some dvd's will resist this (disney, I've heard, is particularly stubborn), but I haven't had anything fall out yet. For instance, I got out my dvd's of Star Wars 4-6 and went to the bonus disks which contained the original theatrical versions of the films and ripped those. Did very well, and it's also nice to have them on a portable device (which kids could watch in the back seat of the car on an extended trip).

I don't have any problems fast forwarding through it

Nope. Used to be able to but they are even disabling that now. You can punch every button on that remote and absolutely nothing will stop them.

It's possible that you can gain control with some DVD players, but any of the four I've tested recently.

That sucks! I have a Samsung, been ok so far.

FINALLY a question on the Enos forum that I can be the expert in. I'm a DVD author and film editor.

Many (especially Disney) DVDs are programmed so that you have to watch their adverts before you can get to the movie's menu. HOWEVER, if you press STOP, press TOP again, and then press PLAY.

Pressing Stop twice takes you to the resume mode. Pressing Play will start playing the first video element...usually the movie....but not always.

Also, sometimes you're able to press the TITLE or MENU buttons to exit from the previews....and sometimes pressing the CHAPTER NEXT button. Because there are so many different ways to prohibit user control,

there's no single way to bypass the previews....except avoid packaged media.

FINALLY a question on the Enos forum that I can be the expert in.

I've read about most of the tricks, including the StopStopPlay trick, except that other experts have figured out how to stump you. The DVD that prompted this posting was newly released, and for the first time I found a DVD that would not respond to a single key press while the commercials were playing. The only two buttons that did anything were the Off and Eject buttons. You could not stop, ff, rev, skip, title, nothing, nada, zip.

The flags that keep you from skipping things are called UOPS, which somehow stands for user prohibited operations. Depending on how much this bugs you, there are DVD players that let you ignore those flags. Sometimes the feature is on by default and sometimes you can find third-party firmware updates for a player that will enable it. Googling things like "UOPS" and "firmware" is a good start.

The flags that keep you from skipping things are called UOPS, which somehow stands for user prohibited operations. Depending on how much this bugs you, there are DVD players that let you ignore those flags. Sometimes the feature is on by default and sometimes you can find third-party firmware updates for a player that will enable it. Googling things like "UOPS" and "firmware" is a good start.

Thanks. I know that what the DVD makers are doing is taking advantage of certain interactive DVD functions such as those used for DVD interactive games. Doesn't mean I have to like it.