Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practising without my gun

hunt_fish

Hi All,

I'm currently away from home at university, and am looking for ways to practise without having my pistol with me.

I am currently working on general fitness, but I'm wondering whether there is anything I can do specifically to improve my shooting.

I have thought of eye exercies etc to try and improve vision; anything else you guys can think of?

Any help would be awesome.

Cheers,

Ryan

I would suggest finding a quite place and shoot a whole match in your mind. Imagine showing up, putting on your gear, and checking everything to make sure it is just right. Then Prepare for your first stage, do your walk through, air gun it in your mind, everything. Then it is your turn, step up to the starting position, load your pistol and focus on the first A-Box until you hear the "beep". Find your sights on every A-box. Then when you ULSCHDH, walk around with the RO and listen for him calling out Two-Alpha on every target and remember how that feels......Because it feels real good.

For fitness, I've been thinking about a slide board. In and out of positions use similar motions and muscles.

I use an Airsoft 2011 with SVI blue dummy mags (they can be dropped) when I can't be with my guns. I don't bother with BB's or gas. Just dry fire it.

Mental reps: As old506 explained, do a lot of visualizing yourself having a perfect performance. Keep showing your subconscious mind what you want, again and again. Personally I do this instead of counting sheep every night to get to sleep, works wonders. :yawn: No gun required.

Movement: Without a gun you can still practice your movement. You can do empty-handed shooting on the move to practice separating torso movement from your lower body movement. You can practice entering and exiting positions from varying distances empty-handed, just make sure to have your "pretend gun" up when you do so. You can do general footwork and agility drills to improve foot speed, stability, and balance.

This almost got me on Top Shot:

Next time you get up to get a beer (er..soda), pop it open at the fridge but don't put the tab back down. Leave it straight up. Now hold the can freestyle (two handed grip). "Sight" threw the hole in the tab, now walk back to the couch (desk, table, chair etc) without spilling any. Take a sight picture on something across the room as you walk back. Walk fast. Tap the can with shooting finger to simulate firing. Don't spill. Ignore jeering wife. Make video. Send to Top Shot producers.

Note: This does not work with Monster. No hole in tab. If you shoot Single Stack, use a Red Bull can. Hold the can with the tab sideways to simulate the front sight blade.

Can you get your hands on a blue gun? those work quite well i've even seen them with sights milled in, and are NOT guns. just as you would walking a stage,

General workout stuff such as stretching. dropping into and coming out of awkward positions, running from box to box. practicing stopping starting , etc

I have used a water bottle. be smooth on transitions. move your eyes from the bottle to target to bottle. moving it around. try to move quick but not splash things around.

sucks to be without a gun. bummer. best of luck!

Edited by Steve Moneypenny

Next time you get up to get a beer (er..soda), pop it open at the fridge but don't put the tab back down. Leave it straight up. Now hold the can freestyle (two handed grip). "Sight" threw the hole in the tab, now walk back to the couch (desk, table, chair etc) without spilling any. Take a sight picture on something across the room as you walk back. Walk fast. Tap the can with shooting finger to simulate firing. Don't spill. Ignore jeering wife. Make video. Send to Top Shot producers.

Note: This does not work with Monster. No hole in tab. If you shoot Single Stack, use a Red Bull can. Hold the can with the tab sideways to simulate the front sight blade.

Who knew! :surprise:

No one has mentioned the SIRT pistol yet. If allowed, that would be my choice.

http://nextleveltraining.com/

Get the red slide version to reduce the chances of running into problems with your university. Some places may ban 'realistic replicas'.

EDIT: I see you are an open shooter and in NZ. Might not be available to you, and the SIRT is aimed at production shooters. Instead I might use one of the airsoft open guns if you can afford to outfit one with another RDS.

Edited by Leozinho

Hi All,

I'm currently away from home at university, and am looking for ways to practise without having my pistol with me.

I am currently working on general fitness, but I'm wondering whether there is anything I can do specifically to improve my shooting.

I have thought of eye exercies etc to try and improve vision; anything else you guys can think of?

Any help would be awesome.

Cheers,

Ryan

watch and analyze some youtube videos of your favorite shooters, eye exercises would be good. Write down some things you need to work on, and maybe some drills that will help you with those weaknesses, without shooting alot of rounds. There are alot of things you can do. Doing nothing is the worst thing.

Is your video posted somewhere? I'd love to see that.