Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time barrel fit

chaosshooter00

I am fitting a new Armscor barrel into my SVI limited .40. It locks up fine, but I have questions about how loose it seems to be compared to the old one, and how the ramp doesn't line up with the frame. I have run it as is, because I'm an idiot that figures he can do anything someone else charges him to do gun wise, and it ran just fine. Is there anything I should be worried about or can I just "shoot it in"?

I'm not trying to sound like a prick when I ask this... But..

WHY on Earth would you want to try and fit an armscor

barrel on an Infinity handgun..?!? :surprise:

In my experience, or estimation, this is really quite counter productive..

Infinity makes unbelievably great product(s)..!!

Armscor... Well... Is in a different league in comparison...

If it's just to learn or figure out how.. Try fitting an old(er) rattle trap 1911 1st...

Just my personal .02...

Sorry, probably need my Geritol..

Armscor in a SV?

Why not? An inexpensive way to gain experience in fitting barrels. All the fitting is on the barrel so if you botch the job the SVI slide and frame are still okay. Learn how to do the job correctly and then fit an SVI barrel. Cheaper than screwing up a pricey barrel to advance up the learning curve.

Pt

Armscor in a SV?

Why not? An inexpensive way to gain experience in fitting barrels. All the fitting is on the barrel so if you botch the job the SVI slide and frame are still okay. Learn how to do the job correctly and then fit an SVI barrel. Cheaper than screwing up a pricey barrel to advance up the learning curve.

Pt

I can understand that.

Armscor in a SV?

Why not? An inexpensive way to gain experience in fitting barrels. All the fitting is on the barrel so if you botch the job the SVI slide and frame are still okay.

Learn how to do the job correctly and then fit an SVI barrel. Cheaper than screwing up a pricey barrel to advance up the learning curve.

Pt

I agree 100% w/ your logic Pat.. I only got a 'lil antsy when he said he's already using it as is and sounds completely

botched, not to mention more than a tad unsafe.. I wouldn't personally recommend "Experimental 1st time gunsmithing"

w/ a $2K gun, not would I want to shoot it myself if I didn't know what was right or not.. Maybe call up my Ex-Wife and see if

SHE wanted to shoot it... Nah.. Happier she's just gone.. Lol..!

G'night all..!

Eric :cheers:

I'm not trying to sound like a prick when I ask this... But..

WHY on Earth would you want to try and fit an armscor

barrel on an Infinity handgun..?!? :surprise:

In my experience, or estimation, this is really quite counter productive..

Infinity makes unbelievably great product(s)..!!

Armscor... Well... Is in a different league in comparison...

If it's just to learn or figure out how.. Try fitting an old(er) rattle trap 1911 1st...

Just my personal .02...

Sorry, probably need my Geritol..

One fell in my lap. I figure nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's my back up gun and the Schueman is completely shot out. I just figured this was the place to ask.

Armscor in a SV?

Why not? An inexpensive way to gain experience in fitting barrels. All the fitting is on the barrel so if you botch the job the SVI slide and frame are still okay.

Learn how to do the job correctly and then fit an SVI barrel. Cheaper than screwing up a pricey barrel to advance up the learning curve.

Pt

I agree 100% w/ your logic Pat.. I only got a 'lil antsy when he said he's already using it as is and sounds completely

botched, not to mention more than a tad unsafe.. I wouldn't personally recommend "Experimental 1st time gunsmithing"

w/ a $2K gun, not would I want to shoot it myself if I didn't know what was right or not.. Maybe call up my Ex-Wife and see if

SHE wanted to shoot it... Nah.. Happier she's just gone.. Lol..!

G'night all..!

Eric :cheers:

I don't think it is completely botched, but possibly. I have never fit a barrel and couldn't find any list of measurements I should check, so I just made it match the old barrel as close as possible. There is a small gap between the frame and the ramp that I don't seem to have the right tool to measure, but I know it shouldn't be there as the old ramp was flush. Never even heard of Armscor until the guy gave me the barrel. Is there a real possibility of getting hurt?

Schuemann's have a longer ramp, or better put, the feed ramp extends into the mag opening a little. If the Armscorp feed ramp is further forward it may just be the way they make them. I've seen others like that. Google Schuemann barrel timing test. There will be some measurements in that. Such as proper clearance at swing down (.010 iirc), amount of lock up on the top lugs (.045-.055 is ideal), etc. One of the key things is to make sure the barrel is unlocking completely (clearing the radial lugs (top of barrel). Let the barrel tell you what link it wants, don't fit a link to the barrel to correct anything. If the lower lugs are overcut, some would suggest a longer link to "tighten it up". Bad juju. The correction is to weld and recut. THEN fit the proper length link. That is assuming your looseness is with the barrel in lock up. If it's looseness at the hood, that can be welded and refit as well. Need more specifics though.

Oh, and if the gap you're talking about is between the top of the ramp cut, and the bottom of the feed ramp, that's ok. That allows the crud a place to go. Without the gap, the crud will pack and the barrel will swing down less and less and eventually you'll start to round the radial lugs as the barrel radial lugs are no longer clearing the slide radial grooves.. As per a phone call with Schuemann a few years ago.

Edited by want2race

Schuemann's have a longer ramp, or better put, the feed ramp extends into the mag opening a little. If the Armscorp feed ramp is further forward it may just be the way they make them. I've seen others like that. Google Schuemann barrel timing test. There will be some measurements in that. Such as proper clearance at swing down (.010 iirc), amount of lock up on the top lugs (.045-.055 is ideal), etc. One of the key things is to make sure the barrel is unlocking completely (clearing the radial lugs (top of barrel). Let the barrel tell you what link it wants, don't fit a link to the barrel to correct anything. If the lower lugs are overcut, some would suggest a longer link to "tighten it up". Bad juju. The correction is to weld and recut. THEN fit the proper length link. That is assuming your looseness is with the barrel in lock up. If it's looseness at the hood, that can be welded and refit as well. Need more specifics though.

Oh, and if the gap you're talking about is between the top of the ramp cut, and the bottom of the feed ramp, that's ok. That allows the crud a place to go. Without the gap, the crud will pack and the barrel will swing down less and less and eventually you'll start to round the radial lugs as the barrel radial lugs are no longer clearing the slide radial grooves.. As per a phone call with Schuemann a few years ago.

Thanks, that is actually the kind of useful info. I was looking for. I will check the Shueman site.

• 1 month later...

Armscor in a SV?

Pt

I can understand that.

+1 that is why I do so much fitting on my buddies guns. Free practice and experience. I charge them in wolf springs.