Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightening Mag Release

Tizzo

I'm looking to lighten the mag release spring a bit, when it's cold I have a hard time getting the mags to drop free consistently. Does anyone have a link to a source that would show me how to do this properly?

Thanks

I can't offer a link. To reduce the mag catch tension, I removed the spring from the frame and used two pair of pliers to twist the spring closed enough that it took a set with a reduced angle made by the pointed ends of the spring. Say from a 60° down to 45°.

One other thing I noticed with my XD9 is, when the frame is cold, some of my magazines wouldn't drop free because the frame contracted.

I'm looking to lighten the mag release spring a bit, when it's cold I have a hard time getting the mags to drop free consistently. Does anyone have a link to a source that would show me how to do this properly?

Thanks

U-Haul

...and move to Central Texas where mags drop freely in the warmer weather. :roflol:

Go to Powder River Precision. They have a new lighter weight mag release spring.

I just switched over to using these and I'm very happy so far.

Ryan Spencer

Production legal, right?

Thanks

Is this a realitively new gun? The reason I ask is because I found when my XDm's were new the mag release did not feel smooth. I polished the mag release (you know, where it catches the mag) and they worked good. I never messed with the springs in mine.

Is this a realitively new gun? The reason I ask is because I found when my XDm's were new the mag release did not feel smooth. I polished the mag release (you know, where it catches the mag) and they worked good. I never messed with the springs in mine.

Year + old with probably around 2k rounds through it.

I can't offer a link. To reduce the mag catch tension, I removed the spring from the frame and used two pair of pliers to twist the spring closed enough that it took a set with a reduced angle made by the pointed ends of the spring. Say from a 60° down to 45°.

One other thing I noticed with my XD9 is, when the frame is cold, some of my magazines wouldn't drop free because the frame contracted.

Ya....that happened to me too. I couldn't find the problem with the mags not dropping. Sometimes they did and sometimes they did not. I finally put my pistol in the frig for a while when the wife wasn't looking and sure enough the two mags that had been giving me problems would not drop free. I beat on them with a number 5 hammer and now they drop free when its cold.

zdog

Ya....that happened to me too. I couldn't find the problem with the mags not dropping. Sometimes they did and sometimes they did not. I finally put my pistol in the frig for a while when the wife wasn't looking and sure enough the two mags that had been giving me problems would not drop free. I beat on them with a number 5 hammer and now they drop free when its cold.

zdog

What manner of beating did these mags receive?

Sorry I can't send a picture but I used a Brownell's one inch brass/nylon hammer....used the brass side of the hammer. I gave it a couple of medium strikes between the mag catch hole and the top of the magazine....that would be the front of the magazine at the very top. Don't hit the very top edge but rather a flat strike covering that 3/4 of an inch or so. Take your pistol out of the frig and give it a try.

Don't send me a bill if you screw up your mag please.

zdog

zdog

What manner of beating did these mags receive?

• 4 weeks later...