Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9L +SSS Tungsten Guide Rod weight

E K

I've seen a number of threads in the past regarding gun weights with guide rods and figured I'd post my results.

M&P 9L + standard guide road + standard 17-round magazine = 28.44 oz.

M&P 9L + standard guide rod + 17-round magazine with 10-8 base pad = 28.74 oz.

M&P 9L + SSS tungsten guide rod + standard 17-round magazine = 29.32 oz.

M&P 9L + SSS tungsten guide rod + 17-round magazine with 10-8 base pad = 29.66 oz.

NROI Production Gun list says the 9L should be 28.2 oz. The rules allow for an additional 2oz or 30.2 oz. Total.

All of these measurements were made on my personal digital scale. I will wait to chrono the gun again with standard hardware before switching anything up for a major match.

Careful getting too close. Are you running grip tape? That should be included in your notes if you are as grip tape puts people over occasionally when they have pushed the envelope too hard.

I treated weights like PF. I always wanted a comfortable margin because no matter what your scale says it's the one at the match says that counts.

My chrono and match chronos were always pretty much dead on but my scale readings rarely came as close to match scales.

• 1 month later...

I noticed that SSS has two different tungsten guide rods. One seems to weigh a little more than the other. Are you using the lighter or heavier tungsten guide rod?

Part# 1508. Not sure what that correlates to.

I can absolutely verify the .3 increase between the factory basepads and the 10-8 versions. The scale at the AL Sectional showed the same exact increase.

Yep. They are aluminum and expensive! I really like the added weight though as the mags come out quicker.

I've seen a number of threads in the past regarding gun weights with guide rods and figured I'd post my results.

M&P 9L + standard guide road + standard 17-round magazine = 28.44 oz.

M&P 9L + standard guide rod + 17-round magazine with 10-8 base pad = 28.74 oz.

M&P 9L + SSS tungsten guide rod + standard 17-round magazine = 29.32 oz.

M&P 9L + SSS tungsten guide rod + 17-round magazine with 10-8 base pad = 29.66 oz.

NROI Production Gun list says the 9L should be 28.2 oz. The rules allow for an additional 2oz or 30.2 oz. Total.

All of these measurements were made on my personal digital scale. I will wait to chrono the gun again with standard hardware before switching anything up for a major match.

Will the 10-8 mag base pad work with the SSS ESP mag well?

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_90_191&products_id=1071

I can absolutely verify the .3 increase between the factory basepads and the 10-8 versions. The scale at the AL Sectional showed the same exact increase.

Yep. They are aluminum and expensive! I really like the added weight though as the mags come out quicker.

I mostly prefer them for the elimination of the silly protrusion on the factory pads that makes indexing them so darn difficult, and can cause you to pull two from the pouches at once.

The dimples for marking them has proven handy as well; I got sick of having to re-paint (acrylic pen) my Glock pads every few weeks as they rubbed off!

I mostly prefer them for the elimination of the silly protrusion on the factory pads that makes indexing them so darn difficult, and can cause you to pull two from the pouches at once.

The dimples for marking them has proven handy as well; I got sick of having to re-paint (acrylic pen) my Glock pads every few weeks as they rubbed off!

That was my exact reason for buying them as well.

Great minds, my friend!

You are indeed correct about the added benefit of dropping free a bit faster. Although I found that extra powered mag springs made an even bigger difference.

If you're prone to being impatient with that falling mag, you'll take every edge in the drop that you can get!

Great minds, my friend!

You are indeed correct about the added benefit of dropping free a bit faster. Although I found that extra powered mag springs made an even bigger difference.

If you're prone to being impatient with that falling mag, you'll take every edge in the drop that you can get!

Do you have more specifics on the mag springs?