Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble with SWC

hawkinpup

Hi Folks,

I have a glock 30 I picked up a couple months back I have a bunch of loaded SWC and they wont cycle in the G30. It looks like when the first shot fires it gets hung up on the lip of the bullet behind it right before it ejects. Now I did install a Vantec classic trigger and spring and the lightest spring was installed. Just some info to see if that might be the prob. any insight would be appreciated.

thanks

I briefly owned a Glock 30 several years ago. The gun was bone stock as it came from the factory. It ran 100% with factory 200 and 230 grain round nose jacketed ammo, but would not run my major power reloads regardless of the bullet and profile. My thought back then was that the gun was a bit over-sprung with the dual recoil spring assembly and that may have been part or all of the issue. The new Gen 4 9mm models (primarily the 17) with the dual spring guide rod assembly are or were having that issue, leading Glock to revise it to lighter springing. This current issue with the Gen 4's makes me think I was on the right track back then. Since there was no other guide rod alternative for the 30 in the late 90's, I ended up selling it to a shooter who was happy to use only factory ammo.

when the first shot fires it gets hung up on the lip of the bullet behind it right before it ejects.

Hawk, does the gun fire factory, round nose bullets okay?

Could be your magazines (does it jam with all your mags, or

just one of them?) , or extractor, or power factor of

the ammo, or lack of lubrication on your gun, or other things.

Good luck,

Jack

A lot of guns that have double stack mags have issues with swc rounds. They hang up on eachother. If you have a single stack gun the swc rounds run with no problems.

Ran into this problem with my xd 45 once. Tried seating them shorter, tried seating them longer, no luck. Ended up firing them thru my 1911 with no problems

G30's are known for not liking SWC bullets. I found this out after buying one about 5 years ago. However, mine feeds RN and RNFP loads like clockwork. It's bone stock, and I've tried some silly light loads with Clays, and it cycles every time. The brass just dribbles out the ejection port with those. Don't know about newer ones, but I never felt it was oversprung with the factory dual spring setup.

There have been several changes in followers over the years. I'm not home right now, or I'd get you the numbers. Truthfully, I never experienced a difference between them. None would feed SWC's reliably. On the upside, I think the G30 is the most accurate Glock I own.

It's probably not a power factor issue then, which is what I was thinking. I think the other posters have it right -- it's probably the G30 not liking SWCs.

What power factor are your rounds? Are they factory ammo?

Win White Box

Dude's I really appeciate the input and I'm going to try all the things you guys mentioned thanks for the starting point on this issue I'll get back on this thread after I mess around with this

Thanks again if anyone else wants to chime in feel free. This is a great forum and all the people on here have been nothing but friendly and helpful.