Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex Trigger VS. a Dan Burwell job

Lobonca

Dan's full custom job, with reduced (more like removed) pre and over travel, is the tits. The regular APEX CAEK drop in number definitely goes a long way to improving the stock trigger, but doesn't compare IMHO.

Now, the APEX FSS is another story. It is very close to Dan's work in terms of overall trigger feel, but because it constitutes an external modification, it's not legal for USPSA Production division. I'm not sure whether or not the same rule applies to either of your chosen disciplines, but it's worth keeping in mind.

One of the most understated aspects of Dan's trigger job is that it retains all of the factory springs. While light strikes with the M&P are exceedingly rare when compared to the Glock with competition springs, they do still happen when you start tinkering with new weights-- especially in terms of the striker spring.

My vote goes to the Burwell number in terms of final performance; I've got a full game job in my 9 Pro, and a "basic"/carry friendly number in the .45 FS I carry every day. There are of course other factors to consider-- the added cost of shipping the gun, the fact that Dan's workload may be such that gun will be out of your hands for a longer period of time, etc. There's a lot to be said for a drop in trigger that anyone who can follow YouTube directions (Randy's instructional videos are fabulous) can install on their own in a short period of time. In the end, it'll be up to you to decide; if you're not barred from the FSS, find yourself on a budget or run into scheduling issues, it's a very viable option.

Comparing the drop in Apex parts with a full custom job is like comparing a gunsmith 1911 trigger job with 1911 drop in hammers and sears (unicorn wings). The parts are great, but they are just the base of a quality trigger job. I've heard nothing but good things about Dan's work, although I've never pulled one of his triggers myself.

The only springs I replace are the trigger return spring and the striker block plunger spring. The rest of the job is tuning. I do start with an Apex sear, for me it's worth the additional cost because it saves labor time. Same reason I use EGW sears for 1911's. Both parts take less time to achieve the desired result.

I had an apex comp kit in my pro. It was a great improvement over stock. Recently had Dan do his full trigger job on the gun. A great improvement! It really turns the gun into a plastic 1911. (Relative to the trigger pull) . I had him put in a overtravel stop too. Nothing against the apex drop in stuff, but I like the pistol much better now. Dan performed excellent work on my gun.

I wasn't putting down his work nor saying it is apples to apples. Saying that by the end of this week I should have the kit in and can give a review of it. Plus I emailed Dan from his web and pm'd him here over a week before I ordered parts and no dice. I am sure he is busy but I don't wait well. So I decided to see if this FSS kit works well enough till the full custom1911 is done.

Personally I'd go with the Apex for several reasons.

1. Way cheaper then having custom trigger work, the Apex is about $100, add the RAM for about $25
  2. You can do it yourself in under an hour, don't have to send your gun off and wait weeks for a gunsmith to do his custom work
  3. I'm sure a custom trigger is great, but is it really worth the extra expense, is it going to improve your shooting measurably, I doubt it

I've had people compare a gun with stock "drop in" Apex parts to a gun I've done and difference is like comparing stock to Apex.

That was how I heard it described. Consider it as 3 levels; stock, Apex and gunsmith tuned. It's no different than 1911's.

As to it making you a better shooter, that's up to the software not the hardware.

Personally I'd go with the Apex for several reasons.

1. Way cheaper then having custom trigger work, the Apex is about $100, add the RAM for about $25
  2. You can do it yourself in under an hour, don't have to send your gun off and wait weeks for a gunsmith to do his custom work
  3. I'm sure a custom trigger is great, but is it really worth the extra expense, is it going to improve your shooting measurably, I doubt it

I gotta contend with some of your points, JD-- although not the overall premise.

1) Dan's charge for the basic Custom Competition trigger is $110; add $30 each for pre and over travel adjustments, for a grand total of $170 tricked out. Shipping costs is where you get killed, though-- unless you have a FedEx account you can write off. :devil:

2) I sent my 9 Pro to Dan on a Wednesday; he was unable to lay hands on it until that Friday; the gun was completed by Saturday afternoon; I got it back the following Monday. (He also did a sight swap.) The .45 FS took about twice as long, IIRC-- with extensive stippling.

3) It's the Indian, not the arrow-- for sure. But damn fine arrows don't hurt, either! IMHO, pull weight isn't really that significant in shooting performance once you break past the initial level; travel characteristics, however, are another story. Take up isn't problematic after you get used to it, but over travel can be a PITA (and of course translates to longer reset as well).

TBH, for a non-Production Division gun, I'd probably go with the FSS for simple ease of process as you describe it-- unless I had Dan's ear and knew the gun would be back to me most ricky-tick. I'm impatient like that, and the FSS is pretty darn close in overall feel. However, it's my very humble opinion that a Burwell full custom number on the M&P is the single best Production-legal trigger you can have.

I think want2race's comparisons of "stock to Apex" and "Apex to custom" is pretty reasonable in this regard. :cheers:

Just put the apex fss trigger in my 40 pro and what a diffence it makes. I cannot speak to Dan's work but for the time it took me to put in and the fact I shot it this morning. Did the trigger and shot again less than an hour later I feel it was money well spent.

Hi Want2race

Is there any chance you’d be willing to describe what you do to improve the Apex parts. I ran an M&P 40 pro in limited last year and will be doing the same this year. Right now I have the apex sear and firing pin stop in my guns but I’m always open to improving what I have.

Thanks, Ryan