Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Incompetance in Action

BDH

A couple of years ago, I swung into one of the 10 minute oil change places for an oil change. For the next couple of weeks, I would smell oil burning, but it would go away after a few minutes driving. I finally decided to take it to the dealer to see where I was leaking. Sure enough.... they didn't screw the filter on the whole way, so it would leak a little, then burn off. :angry::angry: I committed to myself never to use an instant oil change place again.

Last Wednesday, I was running around trying to get ready to head out to the Buckeye Blast, and realized that I HAD to get an oil change before putting all those extra miles on. You guessed it, I didn't have time for a trip to the dealer, so I hit the local quicky place.

First, thing that happens.... I am standing in front of my Explorer, when the kid in the pit holds up a filter, looks at the manager, and says "does this look like the right one?" :huh:

Second, I pull my ride out of the garage to load up before heading to Rayner's, and notice some oil on the floor of the garage. :o:angry: It wasn't much, so I made a mental note to just keep an eye on my oil pressure.

Third, we head out for the Blast. I am heading down one of the back roads into Rayners when my low tire pressure indicator comes on. :blink: Now what? Fortunately, Tom Rayner had a gauge and compressor, and we found out the problem was not that I picked up something in a tire, it was simply that the stooge at the oil change place set my pressure to 28 - 30 pounds, when they are supposed to be set at 35 psi........ :angry:

Guess where I am heading at lunch today.... :angry::angry::angry:

It's a wonder to me people even go to these places. I know of one of these places that had 2 subarus come in within a few weeks of eachother. Both of them had the following symptoms after visiting:

A burning oil smell

A dead transmission within a day after visiting

Yup you guessed it they drained the tranny fluid, overfilled the oil, in both cases they didn't pay the owners a cent.

Last trip to Valvoline Instant Oil Change for me....

all 4 tires underinflated with different pressure readings for ALL 4.

treated like garbage because I didn't want to purchase any extras like tire rotation, engine flush or transmission service.

treated like garbage because I didn't want to give the service writer my work phone number. why would they want THAT?

called to complain, getting my money back. ;)

that's what you get when you are too busy (lazy?) to change your own oil. :lol:

I dunno.. I do it mostly because it's inconvenient for me to do so. If I had garage space I'd probably do it, but since I don't, this is something I can get done by other people without having to worry about the old oil.

I take it to this place called Oil Stop. They are owned by Chevron and use Chevrom lubes. They keep track when I need things like differential oil done (In a Jeep, it's every 12k miles, dealer reccomended). They always try to sell me some extra snake oil, and I always kindly decline. They don't have any issues.

They changed my radiator fluid one time and had to flush the system like 3 times to get all the bad stuff out. No extra charge. In fact, when I went back the next time, it needed another flush and they did that for me no charge. They charge a little more, but it gets taken care of, so far be it from me to complain.

Not a real reccomendation or anything, they are usually prompt and get things done in good time (not 10 mins, but usually more like 20). I prefer them to be thorough more than fast, less chance of a screwup that way. And the always put all my tires to the same pressure (usually 35-40 psi) and I see that they do it all around (they have these special air pressure regulators that fill it to the designated pressure and then cut off).

Vince