Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build, buy, or other

caz41

Lol yep Bobby is the one I've been chatting with and if I hadn't had a good local rifle smith close by I'd sent my stuff to him to work on. He doing my pistol work and wow!!! He says his true passion is long range so give him a shout. His new Diablo Rifleworks web site isn't up yet last I checked but he does great work

First off if you are looking to gain a bit more accuracy:

Change the stock $350 - $650

Bed the stock $100

Trigger job or swap to a Timiney or Jewel $80 - $275

Gun Smith probably $150 - $225

These three things will improve the overall accuracy of the gun and it will not be that bad on your pocket book.

I would not change the barrel unless I was ready to true the action up. By changing the barrel you are not going to gain that much unless you go to the source of the problem and that is in the action. Truing up the action can be anywhere from $300 - $500 depending on how much gravy you add to the action. Barrel can cost you anywhere from about $250 and up. When you do get into a barrel go to a heavy barrel, the harmonics are better on a heavy vs a sport barrel.

The Modular stocks are going to be more expensive, anywhere from $675 and up. I a have seen them around $1600 for some modulars.

I am looking into doing something for a rifle. I want a bolt gun to do some LR target shooting (range goes out to 600) and I'm sure I could use it to kill a deer or coyote if I had to. I currently have a 700 in 7mm-08 that I hunt with that I could either sell to offset costs or put in the safe for when my son gets older. My initial plan was to pick up a 700 SPS Tactical and drop it into a AICS or JP-AMCS chassis, and then do some minor gunfu with the trigger, bolt knob, and such on my own. Of course then I start looking at classifieds at SH and others seeing full or semi custom guns that are all decked out with people talking about the guns putting up 1/4-1/2 MOA groups. I know that I don't need a $5K custom gun for what I want to do with it. I just wonder if there is another route to go that will give me a bit more accuracy than the stock gun. Of course as always I want to keep this project on the cheap (I know guns and cheap don't go well together)

Also is there somewhere that I can just buy a barreled action for cheaper than the rifle? I have looked at gunbroker and classifieds everywhere and every barreled action that I have found seems to be something custom that is double the price of me buying a SPS.

Any other thoughts on the matter feel free to toss them out there!

As you've been looking at SH and it seems you want the tactical aspect, here is what I'd throw out as a rifle can be had for much less than the $5k customs. Plus, it can be purchased immediately, without a long wait for a custom build. Specifically, a straight, factory built precision/ sniper rifle (in use as a sniper platform in many countries). I'd say consider a Sako (that's sock-O, not Seiko (which is also mispronounce in the US)). The TRG platform is less expensive and far more ergonomic (than the other main competitor (AIC)). However, it's extremely well built. Plus, it's an extremely accurate rifle (as good as many customs). It has an aluminum chassis system which the stock attaches to (like AIC but more comfortable and adjustable) so there is never a bedding issue. The trigger is simply amazing in it's degree of adjustment (download TRG manual and you can read up on the gun and trigger if you like). You'll note that many people on SH have TRG's (I have two of them) and they are fantastic rifles. Some do complain about expensive accessories, but that's relative. How many mags do you need (they are $175 ea (can get AIC conversion (Kenetic Research Group)). I have five and consider that enough for me. If you needed a lot, then AIC option might be better. The factory dove tail scope base/ three ring mount is expensive ($500), although a nice piece of kit. If you add up a nice rail and nice rings, it not a huge amount more. However, I used a rail and Seekins Precion rings on one rifle for much cheaper option. The factory bipod is fantastic, but expensive at $500. However, you can use others (check SH for specifics, as I use the factory one). The factory folder (which I have the newer model on one gun is awesome (but heavy)), and VERY expensive. Kenetic Research Group is now making a similar (and much cheaper) aftermarket folding stock (see their site and SH reviews/ pics). TRG's come with with treaded barrels (18x1) so take this into account with a suppressor or break (Sako break is nice, but pricey at around $200). TRG-22's are available in .260 Rem or .308; TRG-42's are available in .300 WM and .338 LM.

As you ask for other alternatives to be thrown out... A considerably less expensive, but very similar rifle to the TRG is the Tikka T3 Sporter (it has a cool laminate stock near identical to the TRG) and a similar action, bolt and barrel (also threaded). They are short action calibers only. Some also use/ love the T3 Tactical (more tacticool in appearance than the Sporter, but less like the TRG style stock which I, and many others, absolute love).

FNH also makes some really nice factory rifles you might consider.

Money wise, something to keep in mind... optics. They will (or should be) of the same quality as your rifle. That usually means as pricey, if not more so, as the rifle. On the tactical side, the only consideration is a FFP Mil/ Mil (reticle/ knob) scope; S&B (my choice), Hensholdt (my second choice) or Premier Heritage on the higher end and NF, Vortex, Leupold, SS, Bushnell on the cheaper end. You might need/ want a good spotting scope as well. On the tactical side, preferably a FFP mil reticle; Vortex Razor HD makes a nice scope, but the reticle eyepiece is fixed 30x; Zeiss Spotter 60 has a FFP zoom mil reticle and is awesome, but very pricey (should last a lifetime (at least I hope it does)). On the cheaper end; Leupold and Bushnell make FFP zoom mil reticle scopes. However, if you are just target shooting and don't need/ want mil grade optics and don't need/ want ranging optics then you could go with different and/ or less expensive alternatives for the scope and spotting scope.

Mark

• 1 month later...

I am looking into doing something for a rifle. I want a bolt gun to do some LR target shooting (range goes out to 600) and I'm sure I could use it to kill a deer or coyote if I had to. I currently have a 700 in 7mm-08 that I hunt with that I could either sell to offset costs or put in the safe for when my son gets older. My initial plan was to pick up a 700 SPS Tactical and drop it into a AICS or JP-AMCS chassis, and then do some minor gunfu with the trigger, bolt knob, and such on my own. Of course then I start looking at classifieds at SH and others seeing full or semi custom guns that are all decked out with people talking about the guns putting up 1/4-1/2 MOA groups. I know that I don't need a $5K custom gun for what I want to do with it. I just wonder if there is another route to go that will give me a bit more accuracy than the stock gun. Of course as always I want to keep this project on the cheap (I know guns and cheap don't go well together)

Also is there somewhere that I can just buy a barreled action for cheaper than the rifle? I have looked at gunbroker and classifieds everywhere and every barreled action that I have found seems to be something custom that is double the price of me buying a SPS.

Any other thoughts on the matter feel free to toss them out there!

So I would suggest getting the SPS tactical. Most shoot 1/2-3/4 moa with a good shooter behind them. The biggest problem at first is stock fit. I have yet to meet someone that actually fits that stock properly. Which puts you into a custom McMillan, HS, Manners stock with adjustable LOP and cheek. I had a 5 r milspec but it really wasn't worth the grand I put down for it (crap stock). Depending on your shooting it might take you a while to master precision rifle, at least to where your being held back by the rifle. Get a stock that fits/ adjustable, then when you shoot the barrel out have it rebarreled with your choice of chambering. My personal fav is 6.5x 47 but the brass is pretty spendy, great shooting rifle however. But I would say stick with 308, it's legal in almost all the competition classes like F class and the brass is plentiful. From NATO 7.62 x51 to lapua 308 win brass you have the whole range. *I like Silver State Armory for my match ammo lately, almost as good as lapua but half the cost* If you want you can get a single stage reloading press and make your own ammo which will save you bucks and allow you to tailor ammo to your rifle.

If you can score a bare action for cheap (not likely since the demand is so much higher than the supply), but if you can you could build a pretty sweet rifle with it. But expect to be in the $2000 range when your done with buying action, stock, and rebarreled / trued action. I have a machinist that builds my match rifles and he is really good, and then there is always GA Precision. Wouldn't question the work, you just wait a long ass time unless you give them parts supplied build. I would suggest having them do a "trued barreled action" which tends to speed up the process (they true the stock action, install and crown the barrel) so it's ready to drop in your stock (AI, etc) and guys like GAP do 1/2 moa guarantee with those with match ammo. (estimate a barrel cost of 315 bucks, truing is about 300, cercoat, etc it's not cheap) But in reality learning to read wind, marage and getting the fundamentals down takes a fair amount of shooting. Keep in mind the X mark trigger can be adjusted to a crisp 2.5 lbs which will save you 200 bucks on a jewel trigger.

Keep in mind that most practical rifle matches aren't won by hitting 1/4 moa targets, they are won by the guys that read the wind and estimate range the best, while knowing the rifle / cartridge they are using. IE knowing that at 500 yards with a 10mph cross wind they hold 3.5 mil high, and 1.2 mil right.