Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone still shooting a P9/Witness?

GlockSpeed31

EGW built me a Springfield P9 back in 1992...sold it in 1996. Gun worked flawlessly and the only part I broke was an ejector (ripped off the tip). Key to making it work? Heavy bullets...the right powder...lots of TLC and a yearly trip back to EGW at the end of the season for "check-ups".

Used CP Elite 150g bullets over 7.2g of WW540 in CP brand cases with Winchester small rifle primers to make 181-182 p.f. I attempted to use 135g CP Elite bullets over 8.2g of WW540...made the power factor BUT i started to notice slide stop pin battering and some ugly marks being left on the breachface. The gun obviosly couldn't handle the slide speed...just as George at EGW told me it wouldn't. ;)

Good guns BUT not built for the old power factor or bullet weights lighter than 135g.

I have a genuine Tanfoglio 170mm "fat stick" magazine for the 9x19 sized frame for sale if anyone is interested.... :)

Brings up 3 interesting questions:

1) Will a 9x19 tanfoglio stand up to a constant diet of lower 165/170 PF major 9 w/ 124 grn bullets?

2) Will we be able to get 140mm/170mm 9x19 magazines after September?

3) Will Tanfoglio/CZ gunsmiths come out of the woodwork to offer complete guns along the lines of Dawson/Brazos/EGW etc etc etc???

If the answer to these q.s is yes, there may be a few new contenders in the open gun field.

C'mon Carlos! Take the plunge! You know you want to! ;) (all the cool kids are doing it! B) )

You might recall I used to have a 9x21 P-9 World Cup. I shot mainly 147gr. jacketed through it without any pressure signs at all. I think 124-130gr. ought to be just fine.

As far as 115gr., I don't know...heck, I was getting some pressure signs with 115gr. .38 Super using 3n37.

I think I'll just stick to 124-130gr.

Don't know about mags, but there are already plenty of hi-caps available, and CPMI is thinking about making some extra length 170mm basepads.

Don't know about the gunsmiths, but I'd think most current top name smiths shouldn't find it too hard to figure out how to work on Tanfoglios. The basic principles are pretty much the same, just have to apply them to a different gun.

I got mine because nothing fits my hand better, and with both an Open and a Limited top end worked on by a top notch gunsmith, it was too good a deal to pass up.

Hi there!

If there are any questions regarding the Tanfoglio as it is today, how it works/reliability and so on, why dont you send an email to Henning Wallgren at Henning@diary.st. He is a factory shooter for Tanfoglio living in the US.

I have 2 Tanfoglios in .38 supercomp, they are reliable.

I got mine because my 1911 9x19 "superpistol" always stopped sometimes, and I dont want that to happen. I looked at the Tanfo shooters, never any problems there.

This experience was finally mine as well, my pistols have 10k and 2,5k rounds through them now, no problems, not on training, not in matches, but like other fancy stuff from Italy (like Ducati ++) have a professional look over it before using it. - Or if you are close to Henning, let him have a look at it. He may even get you a pistol. And they are cheap compared to 1911's.

The pistols are very easy to understand, no rocketscience at all - so my guess is that any experienced gunsmith out there would get to the points fast.

Everybody should at least try the Eric V8 hybrid system - and feel it themselves :-) - I've never looked back.

Well, some information to you, and my 2cents.

- Cheers from Norway!