Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety moves too easily

jmbaccolyte

Some of the threads mention that the safety lever moves from the safe position to the firing position too easily. Can a good smith correct this or is it inherent in the design?

Most people asking about using an EAA as a carry gun were asking about using their EAA Match. The gun features a big paddle on its safety. (Think CZ Tactical Sport, vs CZ-75B.) Since the EAA Match is Single Action out of the box, you'll be carrying it cocked and locked only. The big paddle is very easy to knock from safe to fire because of the larger surface area. The stiffness of the safety itself is no more different than the safety on a CZ or a well used 1911.

So the options are: trimming the paddle down (like Limited shooters tend to do with their gun), and/or make the detents inside the safety deeper in the hopes of making it stiffer.

Although in another thread, I setup a worst case scenario (accidentally flipping the safety off, trigger wobbles outside of the trigger guard), I wouldn't hesitate carrying my Match for everyday carry if my body shape would let me, as long as I have a holster that positively engages the safety when the gun is holstered.

Edited by Skydiver

Some of the threads mention that the safety lever moves from the safe position to the firing position too easily. Can a good smith correct this or is it inherent in the design?

The safety is held in its Safe/Fire positions by two detents in the frame. On the safety lever there is a spring loaded plunger that gets compressed as it pushes past the "hump" between the two detents. As the gun gets worn in the "hump" between the detents gets worn down and it makes switching between the safe and fire positions very easy. The only way to fix this is to have a gunsmith weld in some extra material on the "hump" between the detents and then reshape it properly so it can transition correctly between the safe and fire positions as well as hold it in each position firmly. I have also seen some detent holes drilled incorrectly which keeps the plunger portion from fully extending out to hold the safety lever in the correct position solidly. For this situation all you have to do is reshape the detent hole slightly to allow the plunger to extend fully forward. The easiest way to double check the safety detent and plunger engagement is to take the sear cage out and then put just the safety lever back in the frame. When looking inside the frame on the left side you can easily see where the plunger engages the detents.

Since this is associated with a malfunctioning safety feature of the gun, you may even be able to get EAA to fix it for you.