Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need info on Dallas, Tx

Hi everyone.

I have to spend up to 3 weeks in the Dallas area, alone with a baby. I'm currently booked at a hotel near Love Field, but can relocate anywhere.

Does anyone have advice on the best location? I'd like something with easy access to food, grocery, and shopping. Maybe someplace with a nearby park or areas with easy walking paths and such. Most importantly, I'd like to be somewhere reasonably safe. My home state's permit is not honored in TX, so I'll be without my 100 year old companion.

Any advice or input would be great. BE members (and USPSA shooters in general) always seem to be good folk...

Depending on your budget, there is a hotel called Hotel Lumen located across the street from Southern Methodist University (SMU), which is in University Park. There is a park nearby, obviously the manicured lawn of SMU, and a small shopping plaza with a grocery store and a bunch restaurants in/around it. All within walking distance -- in a very safe area.

Edited by justaute

I would not stay near Love Field. Not a very nice area. East of the airport is University Park, as mentioned above and Highland Park, two of the nicest neighborhoods in Dallas County. Hotels in that area may be a bit pricey though. There is a Radisson Hotel on US HWY 75/North Central Expressway just east of University Park. It seemed fairly nice when I stayed there.

The Hilton at Southlake Town Square would be a nice choice. Lots and lots of things to do within walking distance. Their crime rate is almost non-existent. FWIW, I'd still bring your pistol, assuming you're going to be renting a car. You're covered to and from vehicle and it's perfectly legal to have it in your car.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Once my official duties are over, I'm headed to the suburbs! I had forgotten why I moved out of the big city.

So far, everyone is really nice, but I'm glad I don't have to live in a big city anymore.

The Hilton at Southlake Town Square would be a nice choice. Lots and lots of things to do within walking distance. Their crime rate is almost non-existent. FWIW, I'd still bring your pistol, assuming you're going to be renting a car. You're covered to and from vehicle and it's perfectly legal to have it in your car.

+1