Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9Major - tip (2011 specific)

Alan Adamson

I got bit last night and while not necessarily a tip.... Be *very* careful of your mags and over inserting them... I shot a funky stage and it was the last of the night, had 20 bullets left needed at least 6 in each mag for a 3 box 6 shot bill drill on 3 targets.... somewhere along the line, I broke the tip of the ejector completely off and it was rattling in the bottom of a mag.

But that caused me to make this post.

A critical component to keep clean and functional (beside the ejector obviously) is the extractor.... I'm not going to try to describe how it needs to be fit, but once it is you need to have a 22lr barrel cleaning brush around and a short aluminum cleaning rod. Pull the extractor at about every 1000 rounds and push that brush through to clean all the crud that gets in the tunnel out. Then clean up the extractor, lube and clean the springs (if using an aftec) and then put a thin coat of oil back in the extractor tunnel and live for another 1000 rounds.

Derek at MCG just reminded me of this issue when I sent in a year old gun for a check up...

Other key tip... get yourself one of the extractor removal tools that Dawson makes, they make removing one a *breeze*.... I've had really good luck with getting DP stuff from Sean at Power factor shooting where he runs sales from time to time and carries most of the good stuff from DP.

9Major is well known for using powders that aren't the cleanest in the world, so it's important that you remember this area and keep it clean... once those springs on the aftec get crud on them, they will change the way the extractor tension holds to the brass rim, a key thing with 9Major and getting rounds clear of the scope/mount.

Anyway, figured I'd sent this note along to save someone some frustration...

Alan

^^^ Ramming in the magazine. Depending on the size of the mag catch slot in the mag, the relief cut in the ejector and the fit of the mag catch it is easy to have the mag/round contact the ejector when pushed in hard.

Edited by jid2

^^^ Ramming in the magazine. Depending on the size of the mag catch slot in the mag, the relief cut in the ejector and the fit of the mag catch it is easy to have the mag/round contact the ejector when pushed in hard.

Yep, this is right... Funny thing is, I use these magazines with 3 different guns and no issues, I've also ran them in this gun for almost 2K rounds... it just when they were down loaded to 8-10 rounds each and used, something went *tink* and off came the ejector tip... broke it right at the base of the little arm that sticks out... When we fit another one, we'll remedy that, plus as mentioned, I'm going to try one of the Posi-lock releases from DP in hopes of preventing it...

Alan

You can check the worst case scenario by inserting a loaded mag into the gun with the slide locked back. Press the mag firmly all the way up and check clearance on the underside of the ejector, this will show the issue. When the mag is full and you reload with the slide in battery you mask the issue with the resistance of compessing the mag spring/bullet stack on the bottom of the slide.