Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

leupold prismatic

nick romero

I have a Prismatic on my 9MM AR. I use it for steel matches and 3 Gun matches that require pistol caliber carbines. As far as close up speed goes it gives up nothing to a RDS. For a 5.56 Tactical Irons I think the the Pris with the CM-R2 reticle would be the sight to beat.

I agree, I have begged the Custom Shop guys to do, Something, but unfortunately the twelve of us that use these things aren’t quite enough market for them to invest in the development needed to offer more reticles. Luckily it's pretty dang good as it is, and they will do a custom BDC dial for you if you want.

Oh yah, and there are rumors of something in the works, but you know how rumors go.

I'm in the process of researching an new optic, and ran across this article...maybe the rumors were true???

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1334051064ffeqk2fw1mm

Money quote - "BDC dials are available through Leupold's Custom Shop."

How much does the custom shop charge to do one?

Edited by Racer377

I have a Prismatic on my 9MM AR. I use it for steel matches and 3 Gun matches that require pistol caliber carbines. As far as close up speed goes it gives up nothing to a RDS. For a 5.56 Tactical Irons I think the the Pris with the CM-R2 reticle would be the sight to beat.

I agree, I have begged the Custom Shop guys to do, Something, but unfortunately the twelve of us that use these things aren’t quite enough market for them to invest in the development needed to offer more reticles. Luckily it's pretty dang good as it is, and they will do a custom BDC dial for you if you want.

Oh yah, and there are rumors of something in the works, but you know how rumors go.

I'm in the process of researching an new optic, and ran across this article...maybe the rumors were true???

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1334051064ffeqk2fw1mm

Money quote - "BDC dials are available through Leupold's Custom Shop."

How much does the custom shop charge to do one?

The BDC Dial is indeed available, I think it is roughly $100 if you send them your scope. Dy-No! has had one done and made some posts about it. I believe he is pretty happy with the setup other than the dial being a bit tall. He is the guy to ask though, I know he has done quite a bit of testing with it.

James

I have the Prismatic with the circle plex reticle and I just ordered a LaRue "tall" mount for it. It is (or was) going on top of my 16". Does that mean I'm SOL when it comes to using this reticle in matches. Can anyone tell me the upside of the circle plex reticle so I won't feel like I wasted my money on it :( ?

I have the Prismatic with the circle plex reticle and I just ordered a LaRue "tall" mount for it. It is (or was) going on top of my 16". Does that mean I'm SOL when it comes to using this reticle in matches. Can anyone tell me the upside of the circle plex reticle so I won't feel like I wasted my money on it :( ?

Honestly, if you are using the Circle Plex reticle the BDC dial may be just the ticket. I started with the Circle Plex and changed to the DCD reticle after finding things to be a bit too heavy in the Circle plex. You can set your Zero in such a way that the dot size and spacing to the vertical line below can give you pretty good range hold info. The problem is that the line and dot are so thick that at longer ranges they really obscure the target. By using the BDC dial you could optimize the reticle spacing for specific stages so that your holds aren’t obscuring your targets.

Hope that makes you feel better. :)

James

Thanks Casman for the reply and trying to make me feel better :D . Even if a BDC were available, I sure would hate to drop more money on this scope (rather spend it on ammo). I'm just starting out with 3 gunnin and the matches I attend so far haven't required shots beyond 200 yards. Most of the stuff is close (CQB distances) to mid range. I'll try and make this reticle work for me. BTW, I picked up a 2012 Leupold Tactical Optics catalog and the only reticle listed for the Prismatic is the circle plex! I'm trying so hard to justify my purchase :lol:

Thanks Casman for the reply and trying to make me feel better :D . Even if a BDC were available, I sure would hate to drop more money on this scope (rather spend it on ammo). I'm just starting out with 3 gunnin and the matches I attend so far haven't required shots beyond 200 yards. Most of the stuff is close (CQB distances) to mid range. I'll try and make this reticle work for me. BTW, I picked up a 2012 Leupold Tactical Optics catalog and the only reticle listed for the Prismatic is the circle plex! I'm trying so hard to justify my purchase :lol:

Makes sense to me. 200 yards and in the Circle plex will work great. Funny thing with that catalogue, for some reason they don't list/have the DCD in the tactical line. You have to look at the hunting line to get it. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want the hunting line scope anyway, its exactly the same other than the reticle and you get some nice bling with a gold band around it. I have a really cool National Wild Turkey Assoc. Pris in brown. :)