Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When Cars fail on the way to the match

Nik Habicht

Yesterday we ran out of daylicht before I could finish the Midatlantic Sectional Match.  This morning driving back to the range, about 70 miles from home, ten miles short of the range, my car decided it had enough and just stopped!  I'm still annoyed.....

You should have been going faster then you could coast the rest of the way. Didi you get to the range to finish? We had 3 guys on my squad the got the shaft. They couldn't come back to finish. I wish they would have told us at 1930 that we only had an hour left to shoot.

No, I had to be at work this afternoon and didn't want to take the chance on missing that.  Both Bill Hearne and Dave Olhasso stopped and offered to take me to the range, Dave even offered to get me home, but I didn't want to take the chance on being late/missing work as there was no one available to cover for me today.  And I didn't want to inconvenience anyone else by having them drive me back to my car after I shot the last stage.  I also shot this match so poorly, that I can't imagine that missing that stage will make an appreciable difference.  

Actually I was doing about fifty when the car died, so I managed to coast probably a half mile or so until I saw Phoenix used cars --- I wound up on their apron.  That beat the side of the road ---- and of course slowed down AAA since I wasn't out in the middle of traffic.

• 4 months later...

This July, I was piloting my Sunday truck (88 Jeep Cherokee)  to our club match in Hooker, Oklahoma.(yes, Okies will name their towns after anything. Be careful when driving through Slapout.)  Music playin, AC blowin, it was my third match I think, so I was hyped. It was another beautiful 100+ degree day. Had 40 miles under my belt, 30 more to go when my coolant temp suddenly skyrockets. I was already pressed for time, and if I stopped, I would arrive too late to shoot. Having the ability to think faster than I shoot, I immediatly engaged the secondary radiator, known as the heater core..... The radiator temp stabilized, but with the heater set on high the cab of the Jeep soon became a sauna. 30 minutes later I arrive at the range, and emerge from the cab of the Jeep soaked with sweat from head to toe.  And of course, sweating profusely while sitting allows the sweat to run down your chest to your waist, where it wicks down to the area between your front pockets..... need I say more?