Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A few more questions on my Caspian Open gun

enutees

I posted previously about the Caspian open gun I bought from the classifieds here.

I have had it converted to 9mm but have just a few problems and questions.

It is running well with the big stick mags that I have. The short mags are giving me occassional problems. I think the springs are way overdue for a replacement. I see some people have switched to Grams followers and springs. Do you just use the ones for STI? I don't see any listed for the Caspian. I have the old style 38 super/9mm mags.

Next question is a thumb shield or safety. I have caused a few jams from riding the slide with my thumb. My gunsmith told me standard Swenson safeties will not fit. Does anyone know of a solution for this for the caspian? Can't seem to find one online.

Last question is on recoil springs. I am currently running an 8 lb spring. Even with major loads the cases almost dribble out. As long as it is working should I stick with that or try a 7 lb for more solid ejection?

Thanks for any help guys.

Are your short mags the new style or old style?

If they are the old style - Wolff Browning Hi-power springs +10% with the stock white follower or the follower from EGW works well.

If it is the new style Caspian 21rd mag with quick release base pad - Bevin Grams sells a spring/follower kit but it is not listed on his site so you need to call. He may also sell a spring follower for the old style mag, but I’m not sure. Coincidently, I just talked with Mr. Grams to order a some springs/followers as I have a few of the new style Caspian .38 super mags and am trying to figure out the recipe to make them work reliably. If you are running the new ones and figure this out, let me know!

Caspian does not sell a thumb shield safety. The only option I’ve found is to get a Caspian ambi-safety and find someone who is good with a TIG or MIG welder to add the shield and widen the paddle if you want. I’m working on getting a new Caspian widebody built and while I don’t want a shield I do like the thumb paddle to be larger than stock. I have a friend who is muy excellente with a TIG welder who will weld up some additional material to the stock paddle and then we'll profile, serrate, and finish the new larger paddle.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I found out one problem with the short mags. They have the same spring crammed into them that the 170's are using. It is a giant spring for such a small mag. I'm ordering some of the Brownings as recommended by Bamboo but also I put in one from a CZ that seems like it fits really well.

Bamboo, does your friend want to make an extra safety? :D

Thanks for the help so far guys. I found out one problem with the short mags. They have the same spring crammed into them that the 170's are using. It is a giant spring for such a small mag. I'm ordering some of the Brownings as recommended by Bamboo but also I put in one from a CZ that seems like it fits really well.

How short are the shorties? I run Grams 13-coil springs in both my 170s and my 140s. The 170s have Dawson basepads, but the 140s are running Grams 11mm pads.

How short are the shorties? I run Grams 13-coil springs in both my 170s and my 140s. The 170s have Dawson basepads, but the 140s are running Grams 11mm pads.

Not sure of the length. Well short of 140mm though. Holds 18 rounds. They are a little shorter than my CZ shadow mags.